This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Tractor-Semitrailer Handling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computer model of a tractor-semitrailer is developed which extends that given by Mikulcik in SAE 710045 (Ref. 10 of paper). The extended model allows translation, yaw, roll, and pitch of both tractor and semitrailer. Lateral and fore-and-aft weight transfer is displayed. Wheel dynamics are included, and effects of wheel slip, slip angle, vehicle speed, and tire load are used in the calculation of the tire forces. The vehicle is maneuvered by a simulated driver who specifies the front-wheel steer angle and the brake torques.
The ability of the model to accurately describe a real vehicle is studied by using the model to simulate a full-scale experimental test. The model is also used to study two types of proportional braking for a tractor-semitrailer executing a large-radius turn on a wet asphalt track.
CitationKrauter, A. and Wilson, R., "Simulation of Tractor-Semitrailer Handling," SAE Technical Paper 720922, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720922.
- Jindra F. “Tractor and Semi-Trailer Handling,” Automobile Engineer 52 1963 438 446
- Jindra F. “Tractor and Trailer Handling.” Automobile Engineer 55 1965 60 69
- Jindra F. “Handling Characteristics of Tractor-Trailer Combinations.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650720
- Schmid I. “Engineering Approach to Truck and Tractor Train Stability.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670006
- Ellis J. R. “The Ride and Handling of Semi-Trailer Articulated Vehicles.” Automobile Engineer 56 1966 523 529
- Hales F. D. “The Lateral Stability of a Simplified Articulated Vehicle.” Proceedings, Symposium on Control of Vehicles during Braking and Cornering London 1963
- Ellis J. R. “The Dynamics of Vehicles During Braking.” Proceedings, Symposium on Control of Vehicles During Braking and Cornering London 1963
- Leucht P. M. “The Directional Dynamics of the Commercial Tractor Semitrailer Vehicle During Braking.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700371
- Mikulcik E. C. “The Dynamics of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles: The Jackknifing Problem.” Cornell University June 1968
- Mikulcik E. C. “The Dynamics of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles: The Jackknifing Problem” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710045
- Goodenow G. L. Kolhoff T. R. “Tire-Road Friction Measuring System-A Second Generation.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680137