This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ford Durability Experience on Low Emission Concept Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent vehicle durability experience with low emission concept hardware systems is described. The low-emission concept systems discussed include: thermal reactor only, a combined thermal reactor and HC/CO monolithic catalyst system, and a system combining low thermal inertia exhaust manifolds with dual-bed (NOx and HC/CO) catalytic converters.
Problems shown to influence either emission performance or vehicle function during both atypical and normal vehicle operation include: the melting of monolithic structures used to support both the NOx and the HC/CO catalytic promoters, the deleterious effect of the sulfur content of gasoline on the performance of pelleted NOx catalysts, and the loss of emission control with malfunctioning engine components.
Vehicle fuel economy and performance losses with these types of systems is documented.
Current redesign efforts on these low emission concept vehicle systems in an attempt to overcome the durability problems are described. Such redesign efforts include possible alterations in fuel volatility characteristics of the gasoline.
CitationCampau, R., Stefan, A., and Hancock, E., "Ford Durability Experience on Low Emission Concept Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 720488, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720488.
- Federal Register 31 61 March 30 1966
- Federal Register 36 118 July 2 1971
- Federal Register 33 108 June 4 1968
- Federal Register 35 219 November 10 1970
- California Air Resources Board Meeting 11 30 70
- Campau, R. M. “Low Emission Concept Vehicles,” SAE preprint 710294 January 11-15 1971
- Kaneko, Yasuo Kuroda, Hiroshi Tanaka, Kazuyuki “Small Engine-Concept Emission Vehicles,” SAE preprint 710296 January 11-15 1971
- Lunt, R. S. Bernstein, L. S. Hansel, J. G. Holt, E. L. “Application of a Monel-Platinum Dual-Catalyst System to Automotive Emission Control,” SAE preprint 720209 January 10-14 1972
- Testimony by Matthey-Bishop, Inc. Public Hearings by the Environmental Protection Agency pursuant to application for suspension of 1975 emission standards Washington, D.C. April 13 1972
- Testimony by Engelhard Public Hearings by the Environmental Protection Agency pursuant to application for suspension of 1975 emission standards Washington, D.C. April 12 1972
- Campau, R. M. Taylor, R. E. “The IIEC - A Cooperative Research Program for Automotive Emission Control,” API preprint 17-69 May 12 1969
- Summary of Nationwide Emission Estimates of Air Pollutants - 1969 Environmental Protection Agency May 1971
- Air Pollution in California 1971 Annual Report Air Resources Board January 1972
- Jensen, D. A. “From Air Quality Criteria to Control Regulations,” SAE preprint 710303 Medical Aspects of Air Pollution January 14 1971
- Pooler, F. International Journal of Air and Water Pollution 4 1961 199
- Barth, D. S. “Federal Motor Vehicle Emission Goals for CO, HC, and NOx Based on Desired Air Quality Levels,” JAPCA 20 8 523 August 1970
- Larsen, R. I. “Determining Reduced-Emission Goals Needed to Achieve Air Quality Goals - A Hypothetical Case,” JAPCA 17 12 823 December 1970
- Heuss, J. M. Nebel, C. J. Colucci, J. M. “National Air Quality Standards for Automotive Pollutants: A Critical Review,” General Motors Publication GMR-1108 June 27 July 2 1971
- Weinstock, B. “Air Quality Standards and Motor Vehicular Emission Abatement,” Ford Motor Publication preprint August 9 1971
- Maga, J. A. “Discussion,” JAPCA 20 8 523 August 1970
- “Cumulative Regulatory Effects on the Cost of Automotive Transportation (RECAT),” Final Report of the Ad Hoc Committee February 28 1972
- Federal Register 35 219 November 19 1970
- Federal Register 36 128 July 2 1971
- Jaimee, A. Schneider, D. E. Rozmanith, A. I. Sjoberg, J. W. “Thermal Reactor - Design, Development and Performance,” SAE preprint 710293 January 11-15 1971
- Federal Register 33 108 June 4 1968
- Meguerian, G. H. Hirschberg, E. H. Rakowsky, F. W. Lang, C. R. Schock, D. N. “NOx Reduction Catalyst For Vehicle Emission Control,” SAE preprint 720480 May 24 1972
- Bernstein, L. S. Kearby, K. K. Raman, A. K. S. Vardi, J. Wigg, E. E. “Application of Catalyst to Automotive NOx Emissions Control,” SAE preprint 710014 January 11-15 1971
- Lassen, H. G. Snyder, P. W. Stover, W. A. “Status Report on HC/CO Oxidation Catalysts for Exhaust Emission Control,” SAE preprint 720479 May 24 1972