This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Feasibility Analysis of a Simple Cycle Gas Turbine Engine for Automobiles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The feasibility of a simple-cycle gas turbine engine for automobiles is analyzed by means of comparison with Otto-cycle engines for automobiles. Applicable technology is reviewed with emphasis on centrifugal compressor technology, which has demonstrated pressure ratios of better than 10:1. The design point of a simple-cycle 150 hp automobile engine based on these components is presented, together with estimated torque and fuel-flow characteristics for the entire range of possible engine performance, derived from engine-cycle analysis programs.
The results of a vehicle performance computer program designed to evaluate candidates for this application include time/speed/distance performance estimates for maximum acceleration as well as fuel economy and emissions estimates for pertinent driving cycles. Summaries of manufacturing cost estimates are presented for several candidate gas turbine engines.
A speculative overall cost for both four and ten years of ownership is estimated based primarily on these fuel economy and manufacturing cost derivations.
It is concluded that the simple-cycle gas turbine engine studied is sufficiently attractive as a low-pollution automobile engine for the post-1975 decade to warrant full-scale demonstration as soon as possible.
CitationWright, E., Davison, W., and Greenwald, L., "A Feasibility Analysis of a Simple Cycle Gas Turbine Engine for Automobiles," SAE Technical Paper 720238, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720238.
- Wright E. S. “The Potential of the Gas Turbine Vehicle in Alleviating Air Pollution.” ASME paper 70-WA/GT-8 ASME Winter Annual Meeting December 1970 New York
- Kenny D. P. “A Novel Low-Cost Diffuser for High-Performance Centrifugal Compressors.” Journal of Engineering for Power January 1969
- Groh F. G. Wood G. M. Kulp R. S. Kenny D. P. “Evaluation of a High Hub/Tip Ratio Centrifugal Compressor.” ASME paper 69-WA/FE-28
- Kenny D. P. “Supersonic Radial Diffusers.” Lecture Series No. 39 on Advanced Compressors, AGARD-LS-39-70
- Morris R. E. Kenny D. P. “High Pressure Ratio Centrifugal Compressors for Small Gas Turbine Engines.” 31st Meeting of the Propulsion and Energetics Panel of AGARD “Helicopter Propulsion Systems,” June 1968 Ottawa
- Morris R. E. “High Pressure Ratio Radial Compressors and Turbines.” Diesel and Gas Turbine Progress December 1970
- Okapuu U. Calvert G. S. “An Experimental Cooled Radial Turbine.” High Temperature Turbines, AGARD Conference Proceedings No. 73 Sept. 21-25 1970
- Okapuu U. Calvert G. S. “Cooled Radial Turbine for High Power-to-Weight Applications AIAA paper 69-524
- Langton R. L. Westerhout R. E. V. “Aerodynamic Testing and Instrumentation of Components for Small Gas Turbines.” Paper 670941 SAE Combined Fuels and Lubricants, Powerplant, and Transportation Meeting Pittsburgh October 1967
- Williams Sam Environmental Protection Agency Washington, D. C. May 6 1971
- “Engine Type PT6-A27, Test Data.” Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Report PWA-3652 Nov. 26 1968 17 18
- “Vehicle Design Goals-Six-Passenger Automobile.” National Air Pollution Control Administration, Advanced Automobile Power Systems Program Feb. 11 1971
- Hoffman G. A. “Hybrid Power Systems for Vehicles.” Symposium on Power Systems for Electric Vehicles U. S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, National Center for Air Pollution Control 1967
- Federal Register 35 136 July 15 1970 11334 11359
- Freeman, H. T. Jr. Stahman R. C. “Fuel Injection Increases Economy, Reduces Exhaust Emissions.” SAE Journal 74 10 October 1966 71 73
- Cornelius W. Wade W. R. “The Formation and Control of Nitric Oxide in a Regenerative Gas Turbine Burner.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700708
- Cope E. M. Gauthier C. L. “Cost of Operating an Automobile.” U. S. Department of Transportation report February 1970
- Wright E. S. Greenwald L. E. Davison W. R. “Manufacturing Cost Study of Selected Gas Turbine Automobile Engine Concepts.” Final Report to U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Air Programs August 1971