This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Head Acceleration Injury Indices in Cadaver Skull Fracture
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Skull fracture was produced in forty cadavers which were dropped with their heads striking rigid, flat, hemispherical, and cylindrically shaped surfaces on the front, side, and rear. The heads were instrumented with biaxial accelerometers and force of impact was measured. Severity Index and Effective Displacement Index are compared at fracture level for all frontal impacts and the frontal flat plate results are compared to the Wayne State Cerebral Concussion Tolerance Curve. Indices calculated for Alderson 50th percentile dummy frontal head impacts onto a rigid flat plate are found to be higher than those for cadaver skull fracture impacts in the same drop height range.
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Head Injury Criteria|
|Technical Paper||The Effects of Skull Thickness Variations on Human Head Dynamic Impact Responses|
|Technical Paper||Cadaver Knee, Chest and Head Impact Loads|
CitationHodgson, V. and Thomas, L., "Comparison of Head Acceleration Injury Indices in Cadaver Skull Fracture," SAE Technical Paper 710854, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710854.
- Gadd C. W. “Use of a Weighted-Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard.” Proceedings of Tenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 12 paper 660793 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1966
- Slattenschek A. Tauffkirchen W. “Critical Evaluation of Assessment Methods for Head Impact Applied in Appraisal of Brain Injury Hazard, in Particular in Head Impact on Windshields.” International Automobile Safety Conference Compendium 30 paper 700426 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1970
- Brinn J. Staffeld S. E. “Evaluation of Impact Test Accelerations: A Damage Index for the Head and Torso.” Proceedings of Fourteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 33 paper 700902 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1970
- Hodgson V. R. Thomas L. M. Prasad P. “Testing the Validity and Limitations of the Severity Index.” Proceedings of Fourteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 33 paper 700901 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1970
- Hodgson V. R. Brinn J. Greenberg S. Thomas L. M. “Fracture Behavior of the Frontal Bone Against Cylindrical Surfaces.” Proceedings of Fourteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference 33 paper 700909 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1970