This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Site Rating Methods for Naturally Aspirated Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A laboratory setup for testing diesel engines at simulated altitudes (pressure and temperature according to international standard atmosphere data) up to 14,000 ft is described. Results obtained are discussed in relation to site rating of engine. Attention is drawn to different bases which may be used in correcting engine performance (for example, constant fuel delivery, smoke density, indicated specific fuel consumption, and constant thermal loading method). The validity of derating formulas when applied to a small open-chamber, 4-stroke, water-cooled diesel engine, running at constant speed, is discussed. The effect of increased speed under constant air-fuel ratio conditions is also examined.
CitationSharma, R., Paranjpe, P., and Maheshwari, B., "Site Rating Methods for Naturally Aspirated Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 710823, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710823.
- Taylor C. F. “Correcting Diesel Performance to Standard Atmospheric Conditions.” SAE Transactions 41 1937 312
- Pattenden R. F. S. “Effect on the Performance of a Small Air-Cooled Compression-Ignition Engine of Variations in the Ambient-Atmospheric Conditions.” Proceedings Inst. Mech. Engrs. 176 20 1962 474
- Fosbury R. A. C. Holubeck Z. “Some Considerations of the Effect of Atmospheric Conditions on the Performance of Automotive Diesel Engines.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660744
- Tang Wu paper 660744 Fosbury R. A. C. Holubeck Z. SAE Transactions 75 1967
- Millington B. W. “Communications to the paper presented by Mr. C. B. Dicksee” Proceedings Inst. Mech. Engrs. (Automobile Div.) 3 1959-1960 95
- Dicksee C. B. “Influence of Atmospheric Pressure and Temperature upon the Performance of the Naturally Aspirated Four-Stroke C.I. Engines.” Proceedings Inst. Mech. Engrs. (Automobile Div.) 3 1959-1960 83
- SAE Standard, Engine Test Code-Nonturbocharged Spark Ignition and Diesel- SAE J816a, SAE Handbook
- Diehl “Standard Atmosphere-Table and Data.” NACA TN 218 1940
- Holler Harold “Thermal Load Capacity Remains a Design Problem.” SAE Transactions 67 1959 489
- Gish R. E. Cullough J. D. Retzloff J. B. Mueller H. T. “Determination of True Engine Friction” SAE Transactions 66 1958 657
- “Diesel Engines for General Purposes.” 1958 1959
- Zinner K. “Beitrag Zur Umrechnung der Hohenleistung von Verbrannungsmoforen.” M.A.N. Forschungs Heft 15 1951 1
- Maheshwari B. L. Paranjpe P. D. Vittal B. V. R. “High Altitude Performance of Naturally Aspirated Open Combustion Chamber Four-Stroke Diesel Engine.” Inst. Engrs. (India), ME 50 January 1970 145