This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Synthesis of Stiffness and Mass Matrices from Experimental Vibration Modes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With highly complex structures, it is sometimes desirable to derive a dynamic model of the system from experimental vibration data. This paper presents algorithms for synthesizing the mass and stiffness matrices from experimentally derived modal data in a way which preserves the physical significance of the individual mass and stiffness elements. The synthesizing procedures allow for the incorporation of other mass and stiffness data, whether empirical or based on the analyst's insight. The mass and stiffness matrices are derived for a cantilever beam example and are compared with those obtained using earlier techniques.
CitationRoss, R., "Synthesis of Stiffness and Mass Matrices from Experimental Vibration Modes
- Bekey G. A. “System Identification - An Introduction and a Survey.” Simulation 15 4 October 1970 151 166
- Raney J. P. Howlett J. T. “Identification of Structural Systems by Use of Near-Resonance Testing.” NASA Technical Note TN D-5069 February 1969
- Ibanez P. Matthiesen R. B. Smith C. B. Wang G. S. C. “San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station Vibration Tests.” University of California at Los Angeles Report UCLA-ENG-7037 August 1970 A1 A13
- Hillyer D. F. “Identification of Dynamic Systems from Experimental Data.” Paper 7101 Society of Experimental Stress Analysis 1971 Spring Meeting Salt Lake City May 18-21 1971
- McGrew J. “Orthogonalization of Measured Modes and Calculation of Influence Coefficient.” J. AIAA 7 4 April 1969 774 776
- Gravitz S. I. “An Analytical Procedure for Orthogonalization of Experimentally Measured Modes.” J. Aerospace Sciences 25 November 1958 721 722
- Rodden W. P. “A Method for Deriving Structural Influence Coefficients from Ground Vibration Tests.” J. AIAA 5 5 May 1967 991 1000
- Fletcher R. Powell M. J. “Rapidly Convergent Descent Method for Minimization.” Computer J. 7 July 1964 149 154
- Nelder J. A. Mead R. “A Simplex Method for Function Minimization.” Computer J. 7 January 1965 308 313