This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Fuel-Based Mass Emission Measurement Procedure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A calculational procedure is derived which expresses exhaust emissions on a fuel basis. Existing vehicle exhaust sampling procedures are utilized, together with fuel consumption data which are simultaneously obtained. Since no measurements of exhaust or air flow are required, the procedure is not limited by powerplant size.
Emission values are computed in terms of grams per mode and grams per mile, as well as on “corrected” molar concentration (fuel) bases. Additional calculated vehicle developmental parameters include air-fuel ratio (carbon balance and oxygen balance), air consumption, dry exhaust volume, fuel economy, and combustion efficiency. Conversion of wet exhaust analyses to dry bases is considered.
Actual mass emissions are determined for both the current federal seven-mode cycle and the 1972 federal test cycle. The observed, uncorrected vehicle concentration data, together with fuel flow data obtained by means of a digital fuel meter, are reduced by means of an on-line computer installation. In addition to tests of lean, catalytic, and rich reactor vehicles, this procedure has been employed for vehicles powered by gas turbine, steam, diesel, and hybrid ICE-electric powerplants, including some vehicles in the 1970 “Clean Air Car Race.”
CitationStivender, D., "Development of a Fuel-Based Mass Emission Measurement Procedure," SAE Technical Paper 710604, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710604.
- “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines.” Federal Register, Part II, Vol. 31,No. 61, (March 30), 1966.
- State of California Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Board, “Test Procedure and Criteria for Motor Vehicle Exhaust Emission Control.” January 23, 1964 (revised).
- “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines.” Federal Register, Part II, Vol. 33,No. 108, (June 4), 1968.
- Lee R. C. and Wimmer D. B., “Exhaust Emission Abatement by Fuel Variations to Produce Lean Combustion.” Paper 680769 presented at SAE Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Tulsa, October 1968.
- “California Exhaust Emission Standards and Test Procedure for Motor Vehicles Modified to Use Liquified Petroleum Gas or Natural Gas Fuel.” State of California Air Resources Board, 1969.
- Cornelius W., Stivender D. L., and Sullivan R. E., “A Combustion System for a Vehicular Regenerative Gas Turbine Featuring Low Air Pollutant Emissions.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 76, (1967), paper 670936.
- Korth M. W., and Rose A. H., “Emissions from a Gas Turbine Automobile.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 77 (1968), paper 680402.
- Sawyer R. F. and Starkman E. S., “Gas Turbine Exhaust Emissions.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 77 (1968), paper 680462.
- “Environmental Pollution - A Challenge to Science and Technology.” Report of Subcommittee on Science, Research and Development to the Committee on Science and Astronautics, United States H of R, 89th Congress, 2nd Session, 1966.
- “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines.” Federal Register, Part II, Vol. 33, No. 136 (July 15, 1970).
- Mick S. H. and Clark J. B. Jr., “Weighing Automotive Exhaust Emissions.” Paper 690523 presented at SAE Midyear Meeting, Chicago, May 1969.
- “Clean Air Act.” 42 U.S.C. 1857 et seq., as amended by the Air Quality Act of 1967, PL 90-148, and by the Clean Air Amendments of 1970, PL 91-604.
- Stivender D. L., “A Fuel Measurement Technique to Determine Mass Emissions of Vehicle Exhaust.” GM Research Report, April 25, 1968, distributed to the Department of HEW and participants of the 1970 National Clean Air Car Race, July 1, 1970.
- Spain R. F., Kim Y. G. and Fisher R. V., “Central Data Collection and Processing with Emphasis on Emissions Data Reduction.” Paper 700172 presented at the Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1970.
- “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines.” Federal Register, Vol. 35, No. 28, (February 10, 1970).
- “A Cooperative Research Program for Automotive Emission Control.” SP-361, New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1971.
- Sawyer R. F., Teixeira D. P., and Starkman E. S., “Air Pollution Characteristics of Gas Turbine Engines.” J. of Engineering for Power, Trans. ASME, Series A, Vol. 91, No. 4 (October 1969.)
- Spindt R. S., “Air-Fuel Ratios from Exhaust Gas Analysis.” Paper 650507, presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1965.
- Perez J. M. and Landen E. W., “Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Precombustion Chamber Engines,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 77 (1968), paper 680421.
- Johnson J. H., Sienicki E. J., and Zeck O. F., “A Flame Ionization Technique for Measuring Total Hydrocarbons in Diesel Exhaust.” Published in AP-1, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1968, paper 680419.
- Carlson R. M., Private communication.