This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Truck Frame Analysis Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A method of truck frame analysis is proposed to include the effects of forces acting in three dimensions as well as the effects of variable cross sections, off shear-center loading, and joint flexibility. The interaction between the frame and other components of the vehicle is discussed and a method is proposed to include these effects in the static and dynamic stress analysis of the frame components.
The dynamic effects on stresses are proposed to be included in experimentally determined dynamic stress factors defined in terms of dimensionless probability density functions for various frame components and on- and off-highway conditions.
An experimental program is outlined for the evaluation of stiffness characteristics of the flexible joints, the upper bound of the horizontal force acting at the front axle, and the dynamic stress factors. General analysis of forces and deformations in the chassis due to drive-shaft impact and twisting of the vehicle is included in the Appendices.
|Technical Paper||A Mathematical Analysis of Off-Road Vehicle to Avoid “Hang Up” and “Nose In” Failures|
|Technical Paper||AUTOMOBILE RIDING-COMFORT|
|Technical Paper||Synthesis of Chassis Parameters for Ride and Handling on the 1997 Chevrolet Corvette|
CitationMichejda, O., "Truck Frame Analysis Study," SAE Technical Paper 710594, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710594.
- Crockett C. V. and Labelle D. J., “A New Concept of Light-Weight Highway Tractor Design.” Paper 23R presented at SAE Annual Meeting, Detroit, January 1959.
- Exler Richard L., “Frame Rigidity-How Much and Where.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 72 (1964), paper 769B.
- Schwabenlender Carl W., “A Computer Program for Truck Frame Design.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 72 (1964), paper 769D.
- Shomberger S. J. and Wingerson E. A., “Truck Frame Siderail Design.” Paper 769C presented at SAE Combined National Powerplant and Transportation Meetings, Chicago, October 1963.
- Smith A. R., “Frame Beaming, Fifth Wheel Location, Special Body Mounting and Loading Problems.” Published in SP-260,“Tandem Truck Ride and Vibration Problems,” New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1965.
- Sidelko William J., “An Objective Approach to Highway Truck Frame Design.” SP-276, New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1965.
- Nordeen Donald L., “Analysis of Tire Lateral Forces and Interpretation of Experimental Tire Data.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 76, paper 670173.
- Leonard Louis S. and La Verghetta Frank E., “Dynamometer Testing Under Computer Control.” Paper 680131 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1968.
- Penn Gary R., “An Analog Model of a Powerplant Coupled to a Rear Car for Structure Dynamic Development.” Paper 680147 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1968.
- Borrowcliff B. K. and Ehlert R. E., “Full Scale Road Simulated Endurance Test.” Paper 680148 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1968.
- Swanson R. S., “Evaluating Component Fatigue Performance Under Programmed Random, and Programmed Constant Amplitude Loading.” Paper 690050 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1969.
- Walther William D., Gossard Davis, and Fensel Phillip, “A Truck Ride-A Mathematical and Empirical Study.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690099.
- Butkunas Andrius A., “Random Vibration Analysis and Vehicle Development.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690109.
- Carver G. C., “Application of Variable Depth Siderail to Heavy Truck Frames.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690174.
- Sherman D. W., “Stresses and Deflections in Truck Siderail Attachments.” Paper 690175 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1969.
- McNitt Lewis F., “Truck Frame Side Rail Buckling Stresses.” Paper 690176 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1969.
- Meirovitch Leonard, “Analytical Methods in Vibrations.” New York: MacMillan Co., 1967.
- Przemieniecki J. S., “Theory of Matrix Structural Analysis.” New York: McGraw-Hill Co., 1968.
- Baumeister and Marks - Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Seventh Edition, McGraw-Hill Co.