This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Labyrinth Seal Designs Have Benefitted from Development and Service Experience
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
If the labyrinth seal designer can first determine the nature, cause, and resolution of previous problems, he can then better judge what to do and how to do it for today's engines. The designer of long-life labyrinth seals is primarily interested in those design features and design criteria which have been substantiated by actual service experience. If the design features or criteria are too recent to have had significant service experience, component or factory engine tests may provide valuable substantiation.
|Technical Paper||Dimensional Stability and Structural Integrity of Labyrinth Seals|
|Technical Paper||Design Criteria and Configuration for Long-Life Aircraft Gas Turbines|
|Technical Paper||FLANGE LOADINGS IN FLANGE DESIGN AND GASKET SELECTION|
CitationAlford, J., "Labyrinth Seal Designs Have Benefitted from Development and Service Experience," SAE Technical Paper 710435, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710435.
- Arnold R. N. Warburton G. B. “Flexural Vibrations of the Walls of Thin Cylindrical Shells Having Freely Supported Ends.” Proc. of Royal Society of Aeronautics 197 1949 238
- Arnold R. N. Warburton G. B. “The Flexural Vibrations of Thin Cylinders.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engrs. 167 1953 62 74
- Armstrong E. K. Christie P. I. Hunt T. M. “Vibration in Cylindrical Shafts.” Inst. of Mech. Engrs. Proceedings 180 1965-1966
- Macke H. J. “Traveling-Wave Vibration of Gas Turbine Engine Shells.” ASME No. 65-WA/GTP-3, Winter Annual Meeting of American Society of Mechanical Engineers Chicago Nov. 7-11 1965
- Herrmann G. Mirsky I. “On Vibration of Conical Shells.” Missile Structures Session, Twenty-Sixth Annual Meeting IAS New York Jan. 27-30 1958
- Alford J. S. “Protection of Labyrinth Seals from Flexural Vibration.” Trans. of ASME Journal of Engineering for Power April 1964 141 148
- Campbell Wilfred “Protection of Steam Turbine Disc Wheels from Axial Vibration.” Spring Meeting American Society of Mechanical Engineers May 26-29 1924
- Alford J. S. “Protecting Turbomachinery from Unstable and Oscillatory Flows.” Trans. of ASME Journal of Engineering for Power October 1967 513 528
- Alford J. S. “Design Criteria and Configuration for Long-Life Aircraft Gas Turbines.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670344
- Alford J. S. “Design Criteria for Turbomachinery Periodic Structures to Improve Tolerance to Inflow Distortion and Resonant Oscillatory Flows.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 paper 690388
- DenHartog J. P. “Mechanical Vibrations.” New York McGraw-Hill Publishing Co.
- Timoshenko S. P. Gere J. M. “Theory of Elastic Stability.” Second New York McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. 1961