This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Labyrinth Seal Designs Have Benefitted from Development and Service Experience
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
If the labyrinth seal designer can first determine the nature, cause, and resolution of previous problems, he can then better judge what to do and how to do it for today's engines. The designer of long-life labyrinth seals is primarily interested in those design features and design criteria which have been substantiated by actual service experience. If the design features or criteria are too recent to have had significant service experience, component or factory engine tests may provide valuable substantiation.
|Technical Paper||Dimensional Stability and Structural Integrity of Labyrinth Seals|
|Technical Paper||Design Criteria and Configuration for Long-Life Aircraft Gas Turbines|
|Technical Paper||FLANGE LOADINGS IN FLANGE DESIGN AND GASKET SELECTION|
CitationAlford, J., "Labyrinth Seal Designs Have Benefitted from Development and Service Experience," SAE Technical Paper 710435, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710435.
- Arnold R. N. and Warburton G. B., “Flexural Vibrations of the Walls of Thin Cylindrical Shells Having Freely Supported Ends.” Proc. of Royal Society of Aeronautics, Vol. 197, 1949, p. 238.
- Arnold R. N. and Warburton G. B., “The Flexural Vibrations of Thin Cylinders.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engrs., Vol. 167, 1953, pp. 62-74.
- Armstrong E. K., Christie P. I., and Hunt T. M., “Vibration in Cylindrical Shafts.” Inst. of Mech. Engrs. Proceedings, Vol. 180, Part 31, 1965-1966.
- Macke H. J., “Traveling-Wave Vibration of Gas Turbine Engine Shells.” ASME No. 65-WA/GTP-3, Winter Annual Meeting of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Chicago, Nov. 7-11, 1965.
- Herrmann G. and Mirsky I., “On Vibration of Conical Shells.” Presented at Missile Structures Session, Twenty-Sixth Annual Meeting, IAS, New York, Jan. 27-30, 1958.
- Alford J. S., “Protection of Labyrinth Seals from Flexural Vibration.” Trans. of ASME Journal of Engineering for Power, April 1964, pp. 141-148.
- Campbell Wilfred, “Protection of Steam Turbine Disc Wheels from Axial Vibration.” Presented at Spring Meeting American Society of Mechanical Engineers, May 26-29, 1924.
- Alford J. S., “Protecting Turbomachinery from Unstable and Oscillatory Flows.” Trans. of ASME Journal of Engineering for Power, October 1967, pp. 513-528.
- Alford J. S., “Design Criteria and Configuration for Long-Life Aircraft Gas Turbines.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 76, paper 670344.
- Alford J. S., “Design Criteria for Turbomachinery Periodic Structures to Improve Tolerance to Inflow Distortion and Resonant Oscillatory Flows.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690388.
- DenHartog J. P., “Mechanical Vibrations.” New York: McGraw-Hill Publishing Co.
- Timoshenko S. P. and Gere J. M., “Theory of Elastic Stability.” Second Edition, New York: McGraw-Hill Publishing Co., 1961