This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Dispersion of Pollutants from Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two aspects of the dispersion of pollutants from aircraft are reviewed. The first is the dispersal of aircraft exhaust emissions in the vicinity of airports; the second is the dispersal of exhaust trails in the upper atmosphere.
Techniques available for modeling this dispersal and how they might be applied to the airport problem are discussed. Field studies of airport pollution are then reviewed to assess current pollutant levels around airports and the aircraft's contribution to those levels. The possibility of contrail formation from jet emissions at high altitude is then considered and the effect of uncertainties in the trail mixing processes evaluated.
CitationFay, J. and Heywood, J., "The Dispersion of Pollutants from Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 710322, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710322.
- George R. E. Burlin R. M. “Air Pollution from Commercial Jet Aircraft in Los Angeles County.” Los Angeles Air Pollution Control District Los Angeles April 1960
- Cohen W. “Nature and Control of Aircraft Engine Emissions.” U.S. Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare Washington, D.C. December 1968
- Nolan M. “A Survey of Air Pollution in Communities Around the John F. Kennedy International Airport.” Public Health Service, U.S. Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare Cincinnati June 1966
- Pasquill F. “Atmospheric Diffusion.” D. Van Nostrand London 1962
- Milford N. McCoyd G. C. Aronowitz L. Scanlon J. H. “Air Pollution by Airports.” Research Dept., Grumman Aerospace Corp. April 1970
- Milford N. McCoyd G. C. Aronowitz L. Scanlon J. H. “Dispersion Modeling of Airport Pollution.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710325
- Fay J. A. “Air Pollution from Future Giant Jetports.” Paper No. 70-78 Air Pollution Control Assoc. Pittsburgh June 1970
- Heywood J. B. Fay J. A. Linden L. H. “Jet Aircraft Air Pollutant Production and Dispersion.” AIAA Journal 5 May 1971 9 841 850
- Hoult D. P. Fay J. A. Forney L. J. “A Theory of Plume Rise Compared with Field Observations.” J. Air Pollution Control Assoc. 19 585 590 August 1969
- Parker J. “Air Pollution at Heathrow Airport, London: April-September, 1970.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710324
- “Nature and Control of Aircraft Engine Exhaust Emissions.” Northern Research and Engineering Corporation Cambridge, Massachusetts 1968
- Hochheiser S. Lozano E. R. “Air Pollution Emissions from Jet Aircraft Operating in New York Metropolitan Area.” Paper 680339 presented at SAE Air Transportation Meeting New York April 1968
- Machta L. “Water Vapor Pollution of the Upper Atmosphere by Aircraft.” “Aircraft and the Environment.” New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1971 paper 710323
- Wilson L. C. “Man's Impact on the Global Environment.” M.I.T. Press Cambridge 1970
- Hewett T. Fay J. Hoult D. “Laboratory Experiments of Smokestack Plumes in a Stable Atmosphere.” Atmospheric Environment 5 1971 767 789
- Appleman H. “The Formation of Condensation Trails by Jet Aircraft.” Bull. Am. Meteor. Soc. 34 January 1953 1 14 20