This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Examination of Some of the Errors Normally Associated with the Calculation of Apparent Rates of Combustion Heat Release in Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The rate of heat release analysis of combustion processes in a diesel engine, derived from a knowledge of cylinder pressure time records, has now developed to be an effective tool for considering and evaluating the progress of these processes for research and development purposes. This paper examines some of the main errors and assumptions normally associated with the calculation of apparent rates of combustion heat release in engines, and suggests ways to improve the accuracy of these calculations.
CitationKarim, G. and Khan, M., "An Examination of Some of the Errors Normally Associated with the Calculation of Apparent Rates of Combustion Heat Release in Engines," SAE Technical Paper 710135, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710135.
- Karim G. A. Khan M. O. “Examination of Effective Rates of Combustion Heat Release in a Dual Fuel Engine.” Journal of Mech. Eng. Sc. 1968 10 18
- Karim G. A. Khan M. O. “The Determination of Gross Chemical Kinetic Data for the Combustion of Common Fuels.” Journal of Inst. of Fuel 1969 42 190
- Austen A. Lyn W. T. “Relation Between Fuel Injection and Heat Release in a Direct Injection Engine and the Nature of the Combustion Processes.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 1960-1961 1
- Whitehouse N. Stotter A. Goudie G. Prentice B. “Method of Predicting Some Aspects of Performance of a Diesel Engine Using a Digital Computer.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 1962 176 9
- Krieger R. B. Borman G. L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for I. C. Engines.” ASME Paper No. 66-WA/DGP-4 November 1966
- Eichelberg G. “Some New Investigations of Old Combustion Engine Problems.” Engineering 1939 148 3870
- Annand W. J. D. “Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating I. C. Engines.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 1963 177 973
- J. A. N. A. F. Thermo-Chemical data tables U. S. Dept. of Commerce Washington, D. C. 1964
- Watson H. C. London University 1969 “Experimental and Analytical Studies of the Compression Ignition of Fuel-Oxident Mixtures.”
- Milkens E. London University 1967 “Heat Transfer from a Rapidly Compressed Gas.”
- Karim G. A. “An Examination of the Nature of the Random Cyclic Pressure Variations in a Spark Ignition Engine.” Journal of Institute of Petroleum 1967 53 112