This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Differential Compound Engine - Further Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper introduces the development of a new idea in traction prime movers, to be known as the Differential Compound Engine. The DCE contains in addition to the compressor, an exhaust driven turbine geared into the output shaft, which leads to improved power and efficiency. It also enables the engine to operate at unchanged speed and power, regardless of output shaft speed.
This concept was designed to provide an integrated engine transmission of high output and with stepless single pedal control.
|Technical Paper||A Low Cost System for Active Gear Shift and Clutch Control|
|Technical Paper||Increasing Mileage with an Adaptive Microprocessor Shift Indicator|
CitationWallace, F., Few, P., and Cave, P., "The Differential Compound Engine - Further Development," SAE Technical Paper 710085, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710085.
- Wallace F. J. “The Differential Compound Engine.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670110
- Dawson J. G. Hayward W. J. Glamann P. W. “Some Experiences with a Differentially Supercharged Diesel Engine.” Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers 178 1963-1964 6
- Wallace F. J. “Operating Characteristics of Compound Engine Schemes for Traction Purposes.” Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers 177 1963 2 64
- Wallace F. J. Few P. C. Cave P. R. “The Differential Compound Engine: Interim Test Results and Assessment of Future Development.” Institution of Mechanical Engineers Paper 6, Symposium on Very High Output Engines Nottingham 1968
- Wallace F. J. “Performance of Two Stroke Compression Ignition Engines in Combination with Compressors and Turbines.” Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers 177 1963 2 64
- Wallace F. J. Winterbone D. E. “Performance Prediction for Very High Output Two and Four Stroke Engines Using a Generalised Computer Program.” 1970
- McAulay K. J. Borman G. L. Wu T. Chen S. K. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Development and Evaluation of the Simulation of the Compression Ignition Engine.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650451
- Benson R. S. “A Computer Program for Calculating the Performance of an Internal Combustion Engine Exhaust System.” Proc. Insitution of Mechanical Engineers, Paper 10, Symposium on Computers in Internal Combustion Engine Design Manchester 1968
- Wallace F. J. Cave P. R. Miles J. “Performance of Inward Radial Flow Turbines Under Steady Flow Conditions with Special Reference to High Pressure Ratios and Partial Admission.” Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1970