This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Initial Development of a High Specific Output 500 CC Single-Cylinder, Two-Stroke, Racing Motorcycle Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the initial investigation and design of a lightweight racing motorcycle with a single-cylinder 2-stroke engine, capable of producing 60 bhp. The data discussed here pertain to the gas dynamic and mechanical parts and functions of the cycle. Designs of the various components are described and reports of tests on road and test beds verify the viability of this concept of a high specific output and large displacement cylinder for a lightweight, air-cooled motorcycle engine.
CitationBlair, G. and Cahoon, W., "Design and Initial Development of a High Specific Output 500 CC Single-Cylinder, Two-Stroke, Racing Motorcycle Engine," SAE Technical Paper 710082, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710082.
- Krautter W. Why Multi-cylinder Motor-Cycle Engines 690478 presented at SAE National Powerplant Meeting Cleveland October 1969
- Nagao F. and Shimamoto Y. The Effect of Crankcase Volume and the Inlet System on the Delivery Ratio of Two-Stroke Cycle Engine SAE Transactions 76
- Blair G. P. and Arbuckle J. A. Unsteady Flow in the Induction System of a Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine 700443 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1970
- Jante A. and Sheaffer B. L. Scavenging and Other Problems of Two-Stroke Cycle Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Transactions 77 1968
- Blair G. P. and Goulburn J. R. The Pressure-Time History in the Exhaust System of a High-Speed Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine SAE Transactions 76
- Blair G. P. and Johnston M. B. Unsteady Flow Effects in Exhaust Systems of Naturally-Aspirated, Crankcase Compression Two Cycle Internal Combustion Engines SAE Transactions 77 1968
- Blair G. P. and Johnston M. B. Simplified Design Criteria for Expansion Chambers for Two-Cycle Gasoline Engines 700123 presented at SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit January 1970
- Naito H. and Taguchi M. Some Development Aspects of Two-Stroke Cycle Motor-Cycle Engines SAE Transactions 75 1967