This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Auto Smog Inspection at Idle Only, Part II: Oxides of Nitrogen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Maintenance programs indicate that exhaust emission controlled cars with hydrocarbon (HC) emissions above 400 ppm or carbon monoxide (CO) above 2.25% will have emissions reduced by proper maintenance. Distribution curves of recent surveillance data show that one-third of the 1966-1969 cars have emissions above these assured reduction levels.
Calculations show that maintenance based on reducing high emitters of HC and CO should reduce total HC by 19%, CO by 30%, but increase oxides of nitrogen (NOx) by 9%. Further calculations show that maintenance based on reducing high emitters of HC, CO, and NOx should reduce total HC by 20%, CO by 25%, and NOx by 6%.
The inclusion of NOx testing along with HC and CO in the idle inspection test method is nearly as effective in identifying high emitters of HC, CO, and NOx as the longer seven-mode test method.
CitationChew, M., "Auto Smog Inspection at Idle Only, Part II: Oxides of Nitrogen," SAE Technical Paper 710071, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710071.
- Fegraus C. E. “Final Report for Phase I of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Emissions Program, for New Jersey State Department of Health.” Scott Research Laboratories, Inc. February 23 1968
- Dickinson G. W. Ildvad H. M. Bergin R. J. “Tune-Up Inspection a Continuing Emission Control.” Paper 690141 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Bintz L. J. “Maintenance Study by Automobile Club of Southern California.” Engineering and Technical Services Division, Automotive Engineering Department June 15 1968
- Brubacher M. L. Raymond J. C. “Reduction of Vehicle Emissions by a Commercial Garage.” West Coast Section, Air Pollution Control Assn. Meeting October 20 1967
- Roensch M. M. “Air Pollution Control-The Challenge of Automotive Engineers.” SAE St. Louis Section Meeting May 1967
- California Air Resources Board Laboratory Surveillance Data 1966-1970 California Air Resources Board Laboratory 434 South San Pedro, Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Auto Test Station Project, Auto Club Data 1961-1963 Joint Effort Los Angeles Air Pollution Control District 434 South San Pedro, Los Angeles
- Chew M. F. “Auto Smog Inspection at Idle Only.” Paper 690505 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1969
- Private Communication with M. L. Brubacher and R. M. Ingels California Air Resources Board May 1970 March 1970
- Department of California Highway Patrol “Exhaust Emission Analyzer Test and Evaluation Report.” March 1970 California Highway Patrol P.O. Box 898, Sacramento, Calif.