This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Maintenance for Low Emissions - A Customer Education Problem
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An automotive tune-up clinic for the purpose of reducing undesirable exhaust emissions was held March 14, 1970, as part of an environmental teach-in. The event was sponsored by the student branch of SAE at the University of Michigan. The results of this event clearly show that improper automotive maintenance can be a major factor in atmospheric pollution. It was found that idle hydrocarbon emissions were reduced by an average of 55% with a tune-up in which the idle mixture ratio and speed were adjusted for minimum carbon monoxide emissions. Our conclusion is that the individual motorist must begin to develop an attitude of responsibility toward the maintenance of his automobile to ensure low emissions.
CitationGall, J. and Olds, D., "Vehicle Maintenance for Low Emissions - A Customer Education Problem," SAE Technical Paper 710070, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710070.
- Fagley W. S. Sink Mary V. Heinen C. M. “Maintenance and the Automobile Exhaust-Second Report.” Paper 620036 SAE Meeting Detroit March 1962
- Brubacher M. L. Olson D. R. “Smog Tune Up for Older Cars.” Paper 640601 SAE Southern California Section Panel Meeting April 27 1964
- Chew M. F. “Auto Smog Inspection at Idle Only.” Paper 690505 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1969
- Dickinson G. W. “Tune-Up Inspection: A Continuing Emission Control.” Paper 690141 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Jackson N. W. et al. “The Influence of Air-Fuel Ratio, Spark Timing, and Combustion Chamber Deposits on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emission.” “Vehicle Emissions,” New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1964
- Jackson M. W. “Analysis for Exhaust Gas Hydrocarbons-Nondispersive Infrared Versus Flame-Ionization.” Annual Instrument Society of American Conference New York October 1962
- Lindsley E. F. “Tune Your Car to Cut Pollution-Now.” Popular Science Monthly 197 2 August 1970