This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Baboon Tolerance to Linear Deceleration (-G x ): Air Bag Restraint
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The tolerance to abrupt linear deceleration (-Gx) and the subject interaction with an air bag plus lap belt and air bag only restraint systems were investigated. Twenty adult male baboons comprised the test pool. Peak sled decelerations ranged 8.6-123 g.
The results indicated that the tolerance to impact (LD50) utilizing an air bag with or without lap belt was in excess of 120 g. The severest injuries were attributable to the lap belt, and included rupture of the rectus abdominus and quadriceps femoris muscles plus diaphragmatic tearing. There were no significant injuries to subjects restrained with only an air bag.
Excellent linear correlations were established between peak lap belt forces and maximum sled deceleration. Comparative evaluation of the air bag restraint with a previously reported lap belt study was made when applicable.
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Problems with an Air Bag Restraint System|
|Technical Paper||Computational Strength Determination of Human Long Bones|
|Technical Paper||Thoracic Trauma Assessment Formulations for Restrained Drivers in Simulated Frontal Impacts|
- Thomas D. Clarke - 6571st Aeromedical Research Laboratory Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico
- James F. Sprouffske - 6571st Aeromedical Research Laboratory Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico
- Edwin M. Trout - 6571st Aeromedical Research Laboratory Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico
- C. D. Gragg - 6571st Aeromedical Research Laboratory Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico
- William H. Muzzy - 6571st Aeromedical Research Laboratory Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico
- Harold S. Klopfenstein - 6571st Aeromedical Research Laboratory Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico
CitationClarke, T., Sprouffske, J., Trout, E., Gragg, C. et al., "Baboon Tolerance to Linear Deceleration (-Gx): Air Bag Restraint," SAE Technical Paper 700905, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700905.
- Bohlin N. I. “A Statistical Analysis of 28,000 Accident Cases with Emphasis on Occupant Restraint Value.” Proceedings of the Eleventh Stapp Car Crash Conference 20 paper 670925 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1967
- Cooper B. Blechschmidt C. McCloskey K. Clark C. “Human Vibration and Impact Isolation with a Full Length Airbag Restraint System.” Martin Co., Space Systems Division Baltimore, Md. 1963
- Clark C. Blechschmidt C. Gordon F. “Pilot Compartment Airbag Restraint Program.” Martin Co., Space Systems Division Baltimore, Md. 1964
- Clark C. Blechschmidt C. Gordon F. “Impact Protection with the ‘Airstop’ Restraint System.” Proceedings of Eighth Stapp Car Crash and Field Demonstration Conference Detroit Wayne State University Press 1966
- Blechschmidt C. Clark C. Gordon F. “Impact Protection by the Airstop Restraint System.” 36th Annual Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association New York 1965 25 26
- Clark C. “Human Transportation Fatalities and Protection Against Rear and Side Crash Loads by the Airstop Restraint.” Proceedings of the Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press 1966
- Clark C. Blechschmidt C. Gordon F. “Design and Tests of an Inflated ‘Air Litter’ for Transport of the Injured.” 36th Annual Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association New York 1965 51 53
- Kobori Y. “G. I. C. Safety Device: Results of Actual Impact Tests.” Tokyo G.I.C. Co., Ltd. 1965
- Kemmerer R. M. Chute R. Haas D. P. Slack W. K. “Automatic Inflatable Occupant Restraint System.” Paper 680033 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Snyder R. G. Young J. W. Snow C. C. “Experimental Impact Protection with Advanced Automotive Restraint Systems: Preliminary Primate Tests with Air Bag and Inertia Reel/Inverted-Y Yoke Torso Harness.” Proceedings of Eleventh Stapp Car Crash Conference 20 paper 670922 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1967
- Snyder R. G. Snow C. C. Young J. W. Crosby W. M. Price G. T. “Pathology of Trauma Attributed to Restraint Systems in Crash Impacts.” Aerospace Medicine 39 1968 812 829
- Clarke T. D. Sprouffske J. F. Trout E. M. Klopfenstein H. S. Muzzy W. H. Gragg C. D. Bendixen C. D. “Baboon Tolerance to Linear Deceleration (-G x ): Lap Belt Series.” Proceedings of Fourteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference paper 700906 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1970
- Chandler R. F. “The Daisy Decelerator.” Holloman AFB, New Mexico 1967
- Clarke T. D. “Department of Transportation. Daisy Track Baboon Lethal Tolerance Tests.” 6571st Aeromedical Research Laboratory Holloman AFB, New Mexico 1970
- Ostle B. “Statistics in Research.” Iowa State University Press 1963