This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Cooling by Direct Injection of Cooling Water
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A computer program has been developed to analyze the Otto cycle for an engine where water can be injected directly into the cylinder. The program can treat arbitrary amounts of water injection at any point in the cycle. Results show that a main factor is the timing of the water injection; optimum injection is early in the compression stroke.
CitationModak, A. and Caretto, L., "Engine Cooling by Direct Injection of Cooling Water," SAE Technical Paper 700887, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700887.
- Weatherford, W. D. Jr., and Quillian, R. D. Jr., “Total Cooling of Piston Engines by Direct Water Injection.” Paper 700886 presented at SAE Combined Fuels and Lubricants and Transportation Meetings, Philadelphia, November 1970.
- Nicholls J. E., El-Messiri I. A., and Newhall H. K., “Inlet Manifold Water Injection for Control of Nitrogen Oxides-Theory and Experiment.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690018.
- Starkman E. S. (ed), “Digital Calculations of Engine Cycles.” SAE Progress in Technology Series, TP-7, 1964.
- Borman G. L., “Computer Aided Engine Design.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 76, paper 670523.
- Zemansky M. W., and Van Ness H. C., “Basic Engineering Thermodynamics.” New York: McGraw-Hill, 1966, p. 251.
- Newhall H. K. and Starkman E. S., “Direct Spectroscopic Determination of Nitric Oxide in Reciprocating Engine Cylinders.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 76, paper 670122.
- Starkman E. S. and Newhall H. K., “Characteristics of Reactive Gas Mixtures as Occurring in Internal Combustion Engine Cycles.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 74 (1966), paper 650509.
- Lichty L., “Combustion Engine Processes.” New York: McGraw-Hill, 1967.
- Caretto L. S., Muzio L. J., Sawyer R. F., and Starkman E. S., “The Role of Kinetics in Engine Emission of Nitric Oxide.” Paper presented at third Joint Meeting AIChE-IMIQ, Denver, September 1970.
- Eyzat P. and Guibet J. C., “A New Look at Nitrogen Oxides Formation in Internal Combustion Engines.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 77 (1968), paper 680124.
- Downing C.G., “The Evaporation of Drops of Pure Liquids at Elevated Temperatures: Rates of Evaporation and Wet-Bulb Temperatures.” AIChE Journal, Vol. 12 (1966). pp. 760-766.
- LeFeuvre R., Meyers P. S., and Uyehara O. A., “Experimental Instantaneous Heat Fluxes in a Diesel Engine and Their Correlation.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690464.