This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Titanium Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Properties and applications of three recently introduced heat-treatable beta titanium alloys (Beta III, 8Mo-8V-2Fe-3Al, and 38644) are discussed. This class of alloys offers properties significantly different from those of the common alpha-beta grades. The beta alloys are cold workable, simply heat treatable to high strengths even in heavy sections, and very tough. Actual and potential applications include fasteners, sheet metal parts, tubing, and heavy section parts.
Three new deep-hardenable alpha-beta grades (6Al-2Sn-4Zr-6Mo, 6Al-6V-4Zr-4Mo, and IMI 680) are discussed in less detail. These alloys are less hardenable and lower in fracture toughness than the beta grades, but have higher heat treated tensile ductility.
CitationGuernsey, J., "Advanced Titanium Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 700856, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700856.
- Petersen V. C. Guernsey J. B. Buehl R. C. “Manufacturing Procedures for a New High-Strength Beta Titanium Alloy Having Superior Formability.” Final Technical Report AFML-TR-69-171 under Contract AF33 (615)- 2742 June 1969
- Guernsey John B. Petersen Vincent C. Dulis Edward J. “Beta III Titanium Features ‘Cold’ Formability.” Metal Progress November 1969
- Guernsey John B. “Beta III Titanium for Fasteners.” ASM 1970 WESTEC Conference March 1970
- Hunter D. B. “Metastable Beta Sheet Alloy Ti-8M0-8V2Fe-3Al.” WAL TR 405/2-14, Final Technical Report October 1966
- Hunter D. B. “Screening and Selection of Candidate Sheet Alloys.” WAL TR 405/2-15, Final Technical Report October 1966
- RMI Titanium Technical Bulletin “RMI 3Al-8V-6Cr-4Mo-4Zr Titanium Alloy, Beta Titanium Alloy for Fastener Applications.” November 1969
- RMI Titanium Technical Bulletin “RMI 3Al-8V-6Cr-4Mo-4Zr Titanium Alloy for Deep Hardening Applications.” January 1969
- Mitchell D. R. TMCA data, private communication
- Bomberger H. B. RMI data, private communication
- Moorman L. B. “Process Development for High Strength Titanium Tubing.” Interim Engineering Progress Report IR-8-363 (I) May 1966
- Broadwell R. G. Coyne J. E. “The Fracture Toughness-Tensile Property Relationships of Several Deep-Hardenable Titanium Alloys.” Paper presented to AIME Spring Meeting Las Vegas April 1970
- Hunter D. B. “High Strength Creep-Resistant Alpha-Beta Alloys.” Paper presented to AIME Spring Meeting May 1969
- Heitman G. H. “Development of a New High Strength, Deep Hardenable Titanium Alloy.” Paper presented to AIME Spring Meeting May 1969