This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Power Plant Design for Noise Suppression
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The design configuration of turbofan power plant installations for commercial aircraft is significantly influenced by the requirement for reduced aircraft noise. This paper describes the design evolution of the installation of the CF6, high-bypass ratio engine in the McDonnell Douglas DC-10 as it was influenced by the need for noise suppression measures. The candidate alternatives and the basic trade-off criteria leading to the selected configuration are presented.
This paper also includes some considerations associated with choice of material, construction, and design techniques applicable to various areas of sound treatment within the nacelle.
CitationBagby, C., "Power Plant Design for Noise Suppression," SAE Technical Paper 700804, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700804.
- Jordan, L. R. Auble, C. M. Development of the Suppressor and Thrust Brake for DC-8 Airplane SAE 1958
- Thomas, F. C. DC-9 Maintainability Design Features Fourth Annual Reliability and Maintainability Conference Los Angeles ASME AIAA SAE ASTME ASTM AICHE EIA 28-30 July 1965 Annals of Reliability and Maintainability 4 Practical Techniques and Application Coutinho John de S. Mechanical Engineering, ASME publication 88 4 April 1966 56 59
- Douglass, W. M. Aerodynamic Installation of High-Bypass-Ratio Fan Engines SAE Paper No. 660732 October 1966
- Wright, L. A. Jongeneel, J. W. Douglas Design for Powerplant Reliability and Maintainability SAE 1969
- Watson, Herschel A. Structural and Environmental Studies of Duct-Lining Acoustical Materials 77th Meeting of Acoustical Society of America April 1969
- Pendley, Robert E. Marsh, Alan H. Turbofan engine noise suppression, Jet Aircraft 5 3 May-June 1968 215 220
- NASA Acoustically Treated Nacelle Program Langley Research Center Hampton, Virginia October 15 1969 1969
- Lennard, D. J. Design Features of the CF6 Engine Thrust Reverser and Spoiler SAE April 1969