This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Criteria for Spacecraft Fluid Mechanical Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper emphasizes the requirements peculiar to spacecraft fluid mechanical systems. Although the design requirements for the fluid power systems used in aircraft, tactical missiles, and launch vehicles have been established successfully, criteria for the design of gaseous and liquid systems in spacecraft demand additional considerations. Elements of fluid and mechanical systems in manned and unmanned spacecraft are discussed, and additional visibility is provided for those design requirements that differ from earth-oriented vehicles. Of particular interest are the newest spacecraft under design-the space shuttle (a recoverable booster and orbiter) and Viking. The material suggests new design criteria with special considerations for fluid systems and other operating mechanisms exposed to a space environment. It is anticipated that such topics as environment, materials, lubrication, zero gravity and inflight maintenance, as related to the design of fluid and mechanical systems, will generate new interest among members of the SAE-A6.
CitationHudson, J., "Design Criteria for Spacecraft Fluid Mechanical Systems," SAE Technical Paper 700781, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700781.
- Howell Glen W. Weather Terry M. “Aerospace Fluid Component Designers' Handbook.” Thompson-Ramo-Woolridge System Corp. November 1968
- Burmeister L. C. “Advanced Valve Technology.” Midwest Research Institute 1967
- Santeler D. J. “Vacuum Technology and Space Simulation.” 1966
- Herzl George G. “Designing for Space.” Machine Design May 28 1970
- “Handbook of Long-Life Space Vehicle Investigations.” Martin Marietta Corp. Denver Division December 1968
- DesCamp V. A. “Study of Space Station Propulsion System Resupply and Repair.” Martin Marietta Corp. Denver Division June 1970