This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nondestructive Testing of Graphite Fiber Composite Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses nondestructive testing (NDT) methods and techniques for detection of material and manufacturing anomalies in state-of-the-art graphite composites. Introduction of composites into large-scale production depends in large measure on the successful application of NDT for process control and monitoring. Visual, liquid-penetrant, radiographic, ultrasonic, sonic, thermal, and acoustic-emission NDT methods are used to evaluate graphite fiber composite aircraft specimens and structures. Reference standards are fabricated with built-in discontinuities, commensurate with each structural article fabricated. The test specimens and parts were tested by various methods in order to determine optimum discontinuity detection. Tests were conducted on research and development graphite composite aircraft structures consisting of (1) molded graphite flap ribs, (2) graphite composite flap assembly, and (3) graphite composite horizontal stabilizer assembly.
|Technical Paper||Key Processing Issues for Bonded Repairs|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Carbon Fiber Fabric and Epoxy Resin Wet Lay-Up Repair Material Part 0 - Introduction|
CitationHagemaier, D., McFaul, H., and Moon, D., "Nondestructive Testing of Graphite Fiber Composite Structures," SAE Technical Paper 700750, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700750.
- Hagemaier D. et al “Nondestructive Testing Techniques for Fiberglass, Graphite Fiber, and Boron Fiber Composite Aircraft Structures,” ASTM Committee Detroit, Michigan 29 October 1969
- Dunegan, H. “Fracture Analysis by Use of Acoustic Emission,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 1968 1 105 122
- Dunegan, H. Harris, D. “Acoustic Emission - A New Nondestructive Testing Tool,” Ultrasonics July 1967 7 160 166
- “Detecto-Temp” W. H. Brady Company 727 West Glendale Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Woodmansee, W. Southworth, H. “Detection of Material Discontinuities with Liquid Crystals,” Materials Evaluation August 1968
- Brown, S. “Cholesteric Crystals for Nondestructive Testing,” Materials Evaluation August 1968
- Maley, D. et al “Nondestructive Evaluation of Material Properties Through Use of a Thermal Inspection System,”