This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Status Report on the Development of the 1973 California Diesel Emissions Standards
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: National West Coast Meeting
This paper is a summary of the cooperative effort by the California Air Resources Board Staff, the Engine Manufacturers Association, and the SAE Diesel Emissions Subcommittee to develop the test procedures and measurement methods needed before adoption of emissions standards for unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen oxides from diesel engines. Emphasis is placed on the development of the 13-mode test cycle and on the philosophy and reasoning behind the use of new or different procedures such as brake specific emissions (gm/bhp-hr) and the expression of oxides of nitrogen as nitric oxide. An unapproved working draft of the Test Procedure is included as an Appendix.
CitationBascom, R. and Hass, G., "A Status Report on the Development of the 1973 California Diesel Emissions Standards," SAE Technical Paper 700671, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700671.
- Elliott M. A., Nebel G. J., and Rounds F. G., “The Composition of Exhaust Gases from Diesel, Gasoline, and Propane Powered Motor Coaches.” APCA Journal, Vol. 5, No. 2, August 1955, pp. 103-108.
- McKee H. C., Clark J. M., and Wheeler R. J., “Measurement of Diesel Engine Emissions.” APCA Journal, Vol. 12, No. 11, November 1962, pp. 516-521, 546.
- Hawkins J. and Goodwine J. K., “Oxides of Nitrogen in Diesel Exhaust.” APCA Journal Vol. 14, No. 1, January 1964, pp. 34-38.
- Hum R. W. and Seizinger D. E., “Air Pollution Inventory-Enter the Diesel.” API, Div. of Refining Meeting, Montreal, May 10, 1965.
- Reckner L. R., Scott W. E., and Biller W. F., “The Composition and Odor of Diesel Exhaust.” API, Div. of Refining Melting, Montreal, May 10, 1965.
- Schmidt R. C., Carey A. W., Kamo R., “Exhaust Characteristics of the Automotive Diesel.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 75 (1966) paper 660550.
- Saadawi M. H., “Air Pollutants in Diesel Engine Exhaust, Part I.” University of California, Los Angeles, Report No. 65-32, February 1966.
- Saadawi M. H., “Air Pollutants in Diesel Engine Exhaust, Part II.” University of California, Los Angeles, Report No. 66-48, September 1966.
- Hurn R. W. and Marshall W. F., “Techniques for Diesel Emissions Measurement.” Paper 680418 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, May 1968.
- Johnson J. H., Sienicki E. J., and Zeck O. F., “A Flame Ionization Technique for Measuring Total Hydrocarbons in Diesel Exhaust.” Paper 680419 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, May 1968.
- Yumlu V. S. and Carey, A. W. Jr., “Exhaust Emissions Characteristics of Four-Stroke, Direct Injection, Compression Ignition Engines.” Paper 680420 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, May 1968.
- Perez J. M. and Landen E. W., “Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Precombustion Chamber Engines.” Paper 680421 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, May 1968.
- Merrion D. F., “Effect of Design Revisions on Two Stroke Cycle Diesel Exhaust.” Paper 680422 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, May 1968.
- Marshall W. F. and Hurn R. W., “Factors Influencing Diesel Emissions.” Paper 680528 presented at SAE National West Coast Meeting, August 1968.
- “Survey of Truck and Bus Operating Modes In Several Cities.” Report No. GR 63-24, June 1963.
- Merrion D. F., “Diesel and Turbine Driven Vehicles and Air Pollution.” Presented at University of Missouri Air Pollution Conference, Nov. 18, 1969.
- “Profile of Air Pollution Control in Los Angeles County.” Air Pollution Control District, County of Los Angeles, 1969.
- “Clean Air and the Diesel.” Bulletin No. 952725, Cummins Engine Co., May 1970.