This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Extended Reliability Basis of Structural Design Under Uncertainties
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A fundamental extension of the classical reliability concept is described. This extension or generalization is necessary to allow the consideration of subjective as well as objective factors in engineering design. Objective uncertainties are treated in explicit probability terms, whereas subjective uncertainties are handled through a “judgment factor” that may be evaluated on the basis of subjective probabilities. The risk of failure then becomes the product of two probabilities. Designs obtained on the basis of this extended reliability concept are not overly sensitive to the required distribution functions; thus, approximate statistical information in terms of means and variances should suffice for practical purposes.
CitationAng, A., "Extended Reliability Basis of Structural Design Under Uncertainties," SAE Technical Paper 700656, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700656.
- Freudenthal A. M., “The Safety of Structures.” Trans. ASCE, Vol. 112, 1947, pp. 125-159.
- Freudenthal A. M., “Safety and the Probability of Structural Failure.” Trans. ASCE, Vol. 121, 1956, pp. 1337-1375.
- Pugsley A. G., “Concepts of Safety in Structural Engineering.” Jour. Int. of Civil Engineers, London, England, Vol. 36, No. 5, Mar. 1951.
- Prot M., “Théorie Probabiliste de la Securité.” Revue Générale des Chemins de Fer, Paris, France, 1951.
- Freudenthal A. M., “Critical Appraisal of Safety Criteria and Their Basic Concepts.” Prelim. Publ., VIII Congress, Int. Assoc. Bridge and Struct. Eng., Sept. 1968.
- Tribus M., “Rational Descriptions, Decisions and Designs.” New York, N.Y.: Pergamon Press, 1969.
- Ang A. H.-S. and Amin M., “Safety Factors and Probability in Structural Design.” Proc. ASCE, Jour. Struct. Div., Vol. 95, No. ST7, July 1969, pp. 1389-1405
- Khachaturian N. and Haider G. S., “Probabilistic Design of Determinate Structures.” Proc. ASCE-EMD Specialty Conf., Oct. 1966, pp. 623-647.
- Kalaba R., “Design of Minimum Weight Structures for Given Reliability and Cost.” Jour, of Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 29, 1962, pp. 355-356.
- Shinozuka M. and Itagaki H., “On the Reliability of Redundant Structures.” Annals of Reliability and Maintainability, Vol. 5, 1986, pp. 605-610.