This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Friction Material Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Brake linings and pads are among the most critical components in an automobile and therefore testing to determine their properties and performance is of great importance. The types of tests employed are described and the purpose of each is discussed. Functional testing is performed on either dynamometers or vehicles. Characteristics of the dynamometer and vehicle are discussed as well as the correlation between results obtained from each. The state-of-the-art in friction material testing is reviewed. Areas of possible future significant advancement exist in better correlation of vehicle and dynamometer results and development of a research dynamometer.
CitationRusnak, R., Spurgeon, W., and Aldrich, F., "Friction Material Testing," SAE Technical Paper 700517, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700517.
- Spurgeon W. M. Spencer A. R. “Reliability and Durability of Automotive Friction Materials.” Bendix Technical Journal 2 3 1969 57
- Spencer A. R. Spurgeon W. M. “Four Tests for Consistency of Automotive Brake Linings.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 773
- Spencer A. R. Spurgeon W. M. “A Review of Progress with Some Recently Developed Techniques for Friction Material Evaluation.” SAE Transactions 76 1968 570
- Gealer R. L. Biggers R. H. “New Chemical Test for the Characterization of Organic Brake Linings-Pyrolytic Gas Chromatography.” SAE Paper 670080 1967
- Jacoby G. B. “Nondestructive Testing of Brake Lining.” SAE Paper 690445 1969
- Anderson A. E. Gratch S. Hayes H. P. “A New Laboratory Friction and Wear Test for the Characterization of Brake Linings.” SAE Paper 670079 1967
- Burkman A. J. Highley F. H. “Laboratory Evaluation of Brake Lining Materials.” SAE Paper 670510 1967
- Wilson A. J. Belford W. G. Bowshen G. T. “Sealed Vehicle Brake Installations for Friction Material Assessment.” Lucas Engineering Review 4 January 1968
- Klein B. W. “Semimetallic Outer Pads for Disc Brakes.” Bendix Technical Journal 2 3 1969 109