This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Ignition Delay and Combustion of a Drop Under Pressure on a Hot Surface
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
The ignition delay, combustion time, and smoke from a single drop of fuel on a hot surface were studied at various pressures up to 69 atm. The experimental results were correlated with previous data for drop evaporation on a hot surface, thereby yielding evidence that physical factors, in particular the rate of evaporation and consequent mixture formation, strongly influence the ignition delay and combustion of a drop. It is also shown that the magnitude of the critical temperature and pressure of a liquid fuel plays a significant role in all aspects of its combustion.
A mechanism of ignition is proposed which contributes to better understanding of ignition delay phenomena.
CitationTemple-Pediani, R., "The Ignition Delay and Combustion of a Drop Under Pressure on a Hot Surface," SAE Technical Paper 700502, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700502.
- Broome D. “The Breathing and Combustion Requirements of the Small High-Speed Diesel Engine.” Symposium on Diesel Engines, ASAE, Proc. IME 180 1965-1966
- Meurer J. S. “Evaluation of Reaction Kinetics Eliminates Diesel Knock.” Paper presented at SAE Summer Meeting Atlantic City 1955
- Lyn W-T. Valdmanis E. “The Effects of Physical Factors in Ignition Delay.” Proc. IME 181 1 1966-1967
- Meurer J. S. “Der Wandel in der Vorstellung vom Ablauf der Gemischbildung und Verbreenung in Dieselmotor.” M.T.Z. 27 4 April 1966
- Temple-Pediani R. W. “Fuel Drop Vaporization under Pressure on a Hot Surface.” Proc. IME 184 1969-1970
- Meurer J. S. “Multifuel Engine Practice.” SAE Transactions 70 1962
- Pischinger A. Pischinger F. “Der Einfluss der Wand bei der Verbrennung eines Brennstoffstrahles in einem Luft wirbeL” M.T.Z. 20 1 January 1959
- Nagao F. Ikegami M. Takagaki I. Konishi H. “Influence of Direction of Fuel Injection and Wall Temperature upon Combustion in a Diesel Engine.” Bull. Jap. SME 5 19 1962
- Temple-Pediani R. W. “The Effect of Pressure on the Evaporation and Combustion of Liquid Fuel Drops on a Heated Surface,” University of London 1966
- Spiers H. M. “Technical Data on Fuel,” 6th The World National Committee, World Power Conference London 1961
- El Wakil M. M. Abdou M. I. “Self-Ignition of Fuel Drops in Heated Air Streams.” Paper 598B presented at SAE Powerplant Meeting Philadelphia October 1962
- Hall A. R. Diedrichsen J. “An Experimental Study of the Burning of Single Drops of Fuel at Pressures up to Twenty Atmospheres.” Fourth Int. Symposium on Combustion William & Wilkins Baltimore 1953