This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Knock in Pre-Chamber Diesels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
A study of the characteristics of combustion knock in a 1 cyl prechamber diesel engine is reported here. The intensity of the knock showed pronounced cyclic dispersion and an electronic counting technique was developed to measure the intensity distribution. The knock had a major frequency of 2370 Hz and was most apparent at low speeds. Advancing fuel injection timing and also increasing rate of fuel injection increased intensity. Tests with a wide range of fuels showed that cetane number was the only fuel property important to knock. A study of the relationship between knock intensity and the pattern of combustion pressure development showed that the time origin of knock was at or near the position of maximum rate of pressure rise, and that knock intensity could be related to a time function of pressure rise.
CitationBurt, R. and Troth, K., "Combustion Knock in Pre-Chamber Diesels," SAE Technical Paper 700490, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700490.
- “Noise-Final Report.” Committee on the Problem of Noise, HMSO, July 1963.
- Eisele E. E., “Problem in the Development of Combustion Systems for High Speed Diesel Engines” (in German). M.T.Z. Vol. 26, No. 8 (August 1956), p. 329. (MIRA Trans. No. 57/65.)
- Walder C. J., “Some Problems Encountered in the Design and Development of High Speed Diesel Engines.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 74 (1966), Paper 650025.
- Priede T., “Noise Due to Combustion in Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines.” Symposium on Noise and Vibration, Cranfield, July 1964, p. 93. Advances in Automobile Engineering (Pt. III), Pergamon Press, London, 1965.
- Austen A. E. W. and Priede T. “Noise and Automotive Diesel Engines; Its Cause and Reduction.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 74 (1966), paper 650165.
- Priede T., “The Effect of Engine Structure on Noise of Diesel Engines.” Proc. IME, Vol. 179, Pt. 2A, No. 4, 1964-1965, p. 113.
- Burt R. and Troth K. A., “An Improved CFR Cetane Rating Method.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 77 (1968), paper 680464.
- Priede T., “Relation Between Form of Cylinder Pressure Diagram and Noise in Diesel Engines.” (Four papers on diesel engine fuel injection combustion and noise.) Proc. Automobile Division IME, No. 1, 1960-1961, p. 63.
- Ross D. and Ungar E. E., “On Piston Slap as a Source of Engine Noise.” ASME Publ. 63-OGP-10, April 1965.
- Zinchenko V. I., “Effect of Constructional Factors on the Noise of Ships' Engines.” Vestnik Mashionostroyeniya, Vol. 4 (1956), p. 13.
- Griffiths W. J. and Skorecki J., “Some Aspects of Vibration of a Single-Cylinder Diesel Engine, A. Effects of Cooling Water on Cylinder Pressure and Surface Vibration, B. Mechanics of Piston Slap.” J. Sound and Vibration Res., Vol. 1, No. 4 (October 1964), p. 345.
- Le Mesurier L. J. and Stansfield R., “Fuel Testing in Slow and High-Speed Diesel Engines.” J. Petrol. Tech., Vol. 17 (1931), p. 387.
- Schweitzer B. H. “Combustion Knock in Diesel Engines.” Tech. Bull. Pennsylvania State Coll., School of Eng., No. 16, 1935.
- Rothrock A. M., NACA Report No. 401, 1931.
- Hetzel T. B., “The Development of Diesel Fuel Testing.” Tech. Bull. Pennsylvania State Coll., School of Eng., No. 45, 1936.
- Wilke W., “Investigation Concerning the Burning of Diesel Fuels.” MTZ, Vol. 1 (1939), p. 43.
- Minter C. C., “Flame Movement and Pressure Development in Gasoline Engines.” SAE Journal, Vol. 30 (1935), p. 80.
- Janeway R. N., “Combustion Control by Cylinder Head Design.” SAE Journal, Vol. 24 (1929), p. 498.
- Ricardo H. R., “The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine,” 4th ed. Blackie and Son, Ltd., Glasgow, 1953.
- Boerlage G. D. and Broeze J. E., “The Ignition Quality of Fuels in Compression Ignition Engines.” Engineering, Vol. 132 (1931), p. 503.
- Hinze J. O., “Effect of Cylinder Pressure Rise on Engine Vibrations.” ASME Paper No. 49-OGP-3, April 1949.
- Doelling N., Klepper D. L., and Beranek L. L., Some Practical Acoustical Measurements, in “Noise Reduction,” Chap. 7. McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New York, 1960, p. 146.