This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Observations on the Variability of Spark-Ignition Combustion Using a Single-Cycle Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
The performance and economy of spark ignition engines are, as is well known, adversely affected by the variation in the course of combustion from cycle to cycle, which always occurs to a greater or less extent. In the past decade or so, several investigations of the combustion variation have been made. All these investigations, although differing in detail, have been made on running engines and therefore share certain difficulties in the separation of variables and in interpretation. This paper describes a new experimental approach, using a 1 cycle rig that simulates induction, compression, and combustion phases in a spark ignition engine. Results obtained from it to date are also presented and discussed.
CitationAnnand, W. and Summers, I., "Observations on the Variability of Spark-Ignition Combustion Using a Single-Cycle Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 700487, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700487.
- Vichnievsky R. “Combustion in Petrol Engines,” IME-ASME Joint Conference on Combustion 1955
- Sale B. Vichnievsky R. “Etude de la Combustion sur le Monocylindre I.F.P. Renault C.N.R.S.” J. Soc. Ing. Auto. 31 1958 53
- Warren J. A. Hinkamp J. B. “New Instrumentation for Engine Combustion Studies.” SAE Transactions 64 1956 665
- Soltau J. P. “Cylinder Pressure Variation in Petrol Engines.” Proc. Auto. Div. 1960-1961 99
- Curry S. “Flame Propagation in Spark-Ignition Engine.” SAE Transactions 71 1963 628
- Harrow G. A. Orman P. L. “A Study of Flame Propagation and Cyclic Dispersion in a Spark-Ignition Engine.” Adv. School of Auto. Engrg. 4th Annual Symposium 1965
- Patterson D. “Cylinder Pressure Variations, a Fundamental Combustion Problem.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 621
- Karim G. A. “An Examination of the Nature of the Random Cyclic Pressure Variations in a Spark-Ignition Engine.” J. Inst. Pet. 53 1967 112
- Starkman E. S. Strange F. M. Dahm T. J. “Flame Speed and Pressure Rise Rates in Spark Ignition Engines.” SAE Transactions 67 1959
- Stivender D. L. “Intake Valve Throttling (IVT)-A Sonic Throttling Intake Valve Engine.” SAE Transactions 1968
- Theodoridis M. “Turbulence Measurements for Flow Through an Inlet Poppet Valve.” Dissertation M.Sc. Manchester University 1968
- Heynes W. M. “The Jaguar Engine.” Proc. Auto. Div. IME 1953
- Semenov E. S. “Studeis of Turbulent Gas Flow in Piston Engines.” NASA Technical Translation F-97 1963
- Wenger H. “Measurements of Flow Velocity in the Cylinder of a Motored Engine.” Luftfahrtforschung 16 1939 62
- Povinelli L. A. Fuhs A. E. “The Spectral Theory of Turbulent-Flame Propagation.” 8th Symposium (International) on Combustion 1962 554
- Annand W. J. D. “A New Computation Model of Combustion in the Spark-Ignition Engine.” IME