This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Emissions from Automotive Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Emission rates of benzene-soluble matter (tar), benzo (a) pyrene (BaP), and benz (a) anthracene (BaA) were determined for gasoline engines and automobiles in simulated city driving, and for a diesel engine in simulated city bus operation.
A study of the effects of operating conditions and fuel factors indicated that for minimum exhaust emission of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, engines should be operated with minimum lubricating oil in the combustion chamber or exhaust system, maximum air/fuel ratio, and minimum aromatics (especially polynuclear aromatics) in the fuel.
On a concentration basis, emissions of BaP and BaA from gasoline engines were greatest during decelerations, and on a mass emission basis were greatest during accelerations.
For a group of 25 cars, the average BaP emission rates were 6.6 ug/M3 exhaust or 169 ug/gal gasoline. BaA concentrations were approximately four times higher. Tar emission was approximately 0.2 gm/mile.
Emission control systems for reducing volatile hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in exhaust also reduced polynuclear aromatics in exhaust.
Emissions from a diesel engine on a city bus cycle were 62 ug BaP/gal fuel, and 1.4 gm tar/mile.
CitationBegeman, C. and Colucci, J., "Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Emissions from Automotive Engines," SAE Technical Paper 700469, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700469.
- McKee H. McMahon W. “Polynuclear Aromatic Content of Vehicle Emissions.” American Petroleum Institute Aug. 28 1967
- Begeman C. R. “Carcinogenic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Automobile Effluents.” SAE Technical Progress 6 “Vehicle Emissions,” New York Society of Automotive Engineers Inc. 1964
- Hoffmann D. Wynder E. “A Study of Air Pollution Carcinogenesis. II. The Isolation and Identification of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons from Gasoline Engine Exhaust Condensate.” Cancer 15 January February 1962 93 102
- Wynder E. Hoffmann D. “A Study of Air Pollution Carcinogenesis. III. Carcinogenic Activity of Gasoline Engine Exhaust Condensate.” Cancer 15 January February 1962 103 108
- Hoffmann D. Wynder E. “Analytical and Biological Studies on Gasoline Engine Exhaust.” National Cancer Institute Monograph 9 Washington, D. C. 1962 91 116
- Hoffmann D. Wynder E. “Studies on Gasoline Engine Exhaust.” J. Air Poll. Control Assn. 13 1963 322 327
- Hoffmann D. Theisz E. Wynder E. “Studies on the Carcinogenicity of Gasoline Exhaust.” J. Air Poll. Control Assn. 15 1965 162 165
- Hangebrauck R. Lehmden D. von Meeker J. “Sources of Polynuclear Hydrocarbons in the Atmosphere.” U. S. Dept. HEW 1967
- Sawicki E. Stanley T. Hauser T. Johnson H. Elbert W. “Correlation of Piperonal Test Values for Aromatic Compounds with the Atmospheric Concentration of Benzo (a)-pyrene.” Int. Jr. Air Wat. Poll. 7 1963 57 70
- Sawicki E. Hauser T. Elbert W. Fox F. Meeker J. “Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Composition of the Atmosphere in Some Large American Cities.” Am. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J. 23 1962 137 144
- Colucci J. Begeman C. “The Automotive Contribution to Airborne Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Detroit.” J. APCA 15 1965 113 122
- Colucci J. Begeman C. “Carcinogenic Air Pollutants in Relation to Automotive Traffic in New York.” 61st Annual Meeting Air Pollution Control Association St. Paul, Minn. June 24 28 1968 Environmental Sci. & Technology 1970
- Begeman C. Colucci J. “Apparatus for Determining the Contribution of the Automobile to the Benzene-Soluble Organic Matter in Air.” National Cancer Institute Monograph 9 Washington, D. C. 1962 17 54
- Way G. Fagley W. “Field Survey of Exhaust Gas Composition.” SAE Technical Progress Series 6 “Vehicles Emissions,” New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1964
- Hoffmann D. Wynder E. “Short-Term Determination of Carcinogenic Aromatic Hydrocarbons.” Anal. Chem. 32 1960 295
- Sawicki E. Hauser T. Stanley T. “Ultraviolet, Visible and Fluorescence Spectral Analysis of Polynuclear Hydrocarbons.” Int. J. Air Poll. 2 1960 253 272
- Teague D. M. “Los Angeles Traffic Pattern Survey.” SAE Technical Progress Series 6 Vehicle Emissions 1964 17 38
- Dykes P. deK. “An Investigation into the Mechanism of Oil Loss Past Pistons.” Inst. Mech. Engr. Proc. 171 413 26
- Begeman C. Colucci J. “Benzo(a)pyrene in Gasoline Partially Persists in Automobile Exhaust.” 161 1968 271
- Biller W. F. Prepared Discussion of Paper 62-440C at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1962
- Griffing M. Maler A. Cobb D. “A New Tracer Technique for Sampling and Analysis of Exhaust Gas for Benzo(a)pyrene, Using Carbon-14.” Petroleum Div., American Chemical Society New York Sept. 7 12 1969
- Gofmekler V. A. Maneta M. Manusadshants Z. Stepanov L. “The Correlation Between the Concentration of 3,4-Benzpyrene and Carbon Monoxide in Gas Exhaust of Autos.” 28 1963 3 8
- Kuhn M. Tomingas R. “Versuch zur Verhütung der Bildung von Verunrein igungen der Auspuffgase von Zweitaktomotoren und von Dieselmotoren durch innere aktivierung im Motor.” 1965 86 97
- Hunigen E. Jaskulla N. Wettig K. “Die Herabsetzung Krebfordernder Schadstoffe in Ottomotoren-Abgassen Auch Kraftsloffzustaze und Schimertstoffeauswahl.” Int. Clean Air Congress Proceedings London October 1966 4 7
- Automotive Industries Philadelphia, Pa. March 15 1964
- Hangebrauck R. Lauch R. Meeker J. “Emissions of Polynuclear Hydrocarbons from Automobiles and Trucks.” Amer. Ind. Hyg. Assn. J. 27 1966 47 56
- Steinhagen W. K. Niepoth W. G. Mick S. H. “Design and Development of General Motors Air Injection Reactor System.” Paper 660106 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1966
- King J. B. Schneider H. R. Tooker R. S. “The 1970 General Motors Emission Control Systems.” Paper 700149 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1970
- Reckner L. Scott W. Biller W. “The Composition and Odor of Diesel Exhaust.” API Journal, Div. of Refining 45 III 1965 133 47
- Merrion D. F. “Effect of Design Revisions on Two Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine Exhaust.” Paper 680422 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1968