This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SAE Study - Wet Pavement Braking Traction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
This four-part study is based upon tests planned and conducted by the SAE Tire Committee. The introductory remarks are written to give a brief outline of the complexity of tire traction measuring procedures and to describe the methods used in this work.
The second part of the study deals with the methods used. Three basic methods were used, based upon stopping distance, vehicle deceleration, and towed skid trailers.
In the third section, the results are analyzed. Test data from various types and sizes of tires are presented which show the effect of tire wear, vehicle speed, and various test surfaces.
The study is finalized with conclusions and recommendations. Conclusions permit us to offer a basis for establishing minimum values expressed as related to a standard for straight ahead motion for passenger tire traction on wet pavement. Recommendations are offered for future activity.
|Technical Paper||Future Applications for Self-Steering Axles When Used With 2-AxIe Trailers|
|Technical Paper||Wear of F-16 Mainwheel Tires During Constant Slip Braking|
|Journal Article||Steer Laws for Steerable Trailer Axles to Reduce Tire Wear|
CitationSpelman, R., Tarpinian, H., Johnson, D., and Campbell, K., "SAE Study - Wet Pavement Braking Traction," SAE Technical Paper 700462, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700462.
- Davisson J. A. “Basic Test Methods for Evaluating Tire Traction.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680136
- Bajer J. J. “Proposal for Evaluating Wet Skid Resistance of a Road-Tire-Vehicle System.” Paper 690526 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1969
- Goodenow G. L. Kolhoff T. R. Smithson F. D. “Tire-Road Friction Measuring System-A Second Generation.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680137
- SAE Standard J345 Skid Resistance Test Procedure
- ASTM E 17 Standard Method of Test for Skid Resistance of Paved Surfaces Using a Full-Scale Tire
- Dixon W. J. “Ratios Involving Extreme Values,” Annals Math. Stat. XXII 1951 68 78
- Meades J. K. “Braking Force Coefficients Obtained with a Sample of Currently Available Radial Ply and Crossed Ply Tyres,” Road Research Laboratory, Ministry of Transport United Kingdom RRL Report LR 73 1967