This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Versus Passive Motorist Restraints - Appareils de Securité “Actifs” et “Passifs” - Active und Passive Schutzvorrichtungen für Insassen von Kraftsahrzeugen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The relative performances are provided for many of the forms of motorist restraining devices evaluated during 139 full scale crash tests conducted over a 20 year period at UCLA. The relative advantages of passive and active restraining devices are described. Some new concepts of passive restraints are illustrated.
- Derwyn M. Severy - Inst. of Transp. & Traffic Engrg., University of California
- Harrison M. Brink - Inst. of Transp. & Traffic Engrg., University of California
- Jack D. Baird - Inst. of Transp. & Traffic Engrg., University of California
- David M. Blaisdell - Inst. of Transp. & Traffic Engrg., University of California
CitationSevery, D., Brink, H., Baird, J., and Blaisdell, D., "Active Versus Passive Motorist Restraints - Appareils de Securité “Actifs” et “Passifs” - Active und Passive Schutzvorrichtungen für Insassen von Kraftsahrzeugen," SAE Technical Paper 700424, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700424.
- Egli, Adolf, “Stopping the Occupant of a Crashing Vehicle - A Fundamental Study, SAE #670038.
- Marquis, D. P. and Rasmussen T., “Status of Energy Absorption in Steering Columns”, Proceedings, General Motors Corporation Automotive Safety Seminary, July 11-12, 1968.
- Huelke, D. F. and Chewning W. A., “The Energy Absorbing Steering Column”, Highway Safety Research Institute Report Bio-7, 1968.
- Patrick, L. M., “Human Tolerance to Impact - Basis for Safety Design”, SAE Publication 1003B.
- Daniel, R. P. and Patrick L. M., “Instrument Panel Impact Study”, The Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference - Proceedings, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 1966, pp. 165-179.
- Severy, D. M., Brink H. M. and Baird J. D., “Backrest and Head Restraint Design for Rear-End Collision Protection,” SAE 680079, Automotive Engineering Congress, January 8-12, 1968.
- Blizard, J. R., Howitt J. S., Patrick L. M., Trosien K. R. and DuPont F. T., “Lower Laceration Danger from Chemically Strengthened Windshields.”
- Snyder, R. G., “Occupant Restraint Systems of Automotive, Aircraft and Manned Space Vehicles: An Evaluation of the State-of-the-Art and Future Concepts.”
- Severy, D. M., Brink H. M. and Baird J. D., “School Bus Passenger Protection,” SAE Publication No. 670040, January, 1967, 165 pp. Presented at the Society of Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Michigan, January, 1967.