This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Truck Crash Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several tests have been conducted on the safety of cars, whereas similar experimental work on trucks is still scarce.
This paper reports on the static and dynamic tests run to study the collision of trucks against different kinds of obstacles (barrier, cars, guardrail), wedging of cars under truck side or tail, roll-over, forward sliding of the load against cab back panel, and impact of driver against the steering wheel (with near-vertical column).
The data lead to the conclusion that, even though the wealth of experimental methods acquired in car tests is applicable in bulk to commercial vehicles, there are several marked differences in the behavior between the two types of vehicle; to name a few, the diverse structural behavior in some types of collision, the reduced possibility of post-collision fires, and the different kind of driver-against-steering wheel impact due to the different setting.
The information derived from the above tests provides indications on the advisability of introducing in the conventional designs some changes which, though rather modest, contribute to the progressive improvement of safety of this particular class of vehicle.
|Technical Paper||A New Look at Fuel System Design Criteria|
|Technical Paper||Heavy Truck Safety-What We Know|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Measurement of Passenger Car, Light Truck, and Highway Truck and Bus Tire Rolling Resistance|
CitationFranchini, E., "Truck Crash Testing," SAE Technical Paper 700411, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700411.
- Wolf R. A. “Truck Accident and Traffic Safety - An Overview.” Paper 680491 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1968
- XV 1967 1968
- Stern A. “A Preliminary Report on Trucks in Injury Producing Accidents.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Report VJ-1823-R21 July 1966
- Severy D. M. Brink H. M. Baird J. D. “School Bus Passenger Protection.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670040
- La Belle D. J. “Barrier Collision and Related Impact Sled Tests on Buses in Intercity Service.” Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings Springfield, Ill. Thomas Charles C 1963
- Whitmer W. E. von Kampen W. E. “Truck and Bus Safety.” Proceedings GM Safety Seminar Milford July 1968
- Lister R. D. “Controlled Vehicle Impact Experiments at the British Road Research Laboratory.” Paper presented at Twelfth FISITA Congress Barcelona May 1968
- Franchini E. “Crash Testing Evolution at FIAT.” Paper 660165 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1966
- Ekberg G. “Protection of Drivers of Lorries and Agricultural Tractors in Case of Overturning or Impact.” Paper A-13 presented at Conference on Road Safety Bruxelles September 1968
- Franchini E. “Prove di Collisione su Catapulta.” Rivista ATA Torino January 1964
- Elsholz J. “Unterfahrschutz für Lastwagen.” ATZ February 1967
- “Testing Fenders for Trucks.” February 10 1967 236
- Franchini E. “The Crash Survival Space.” Paper 690005 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Boehringer A. 133 March 1965
- Franchini E. Alocco V. Gisavotto V. Caprile C. Roma July 1967
- Locati L. Franchini E. “Car Crash-fire Investigation.” Paper C-15 presented at Eleventh International FISITA Congress München June 1966
- Franchini E. “Impact on Steering Wheel.” Paper 2-06 presented at Twelfth International FISITA Congress Barcelona May 1968