This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Procedure for Determining On-The-Road Vehicle Directional Response Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new procedure is described for measuring realistic on-the-road vehicle directional response characteristics. Conventional control system analysis techniques are used in the procedure to derive the transfer function relating steer input to vehicle lateral motion. The influence of the driver's limited torque capabilities on the steering system input is introduced in a nontraditional, though direct, manner. This approach produces somewhat different descriptions of vehicle response than have been obtained in the past, when such descriptions did not include this driver influence. Since the resulting transfer function is a unique on-the-road description of the vehicle dynamics, realistic vehicle motion response to any quantifiable steer input can be computed. This procedure offers the additional benefits of test procedure simplicity and minimum test road facility requirements.
CitationO'Hagan, J. and King, J., "A New Procedure for Determining On-The-Road Vehicle Directional Response Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 700370, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700370.
- Versace J. Forbes L. M. “Research Requirements for Determining Car Handling Characteristics.” 47th Annual Meeting of Highway Research Board Washington, D. C. January 1968
- Bundorf T. “The Influence of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670078
- Iacovoni D. H. “Fundamentals of Automobile Handling Analysis.” Detroit Section SAE Junior Activity Spring Lecture Series Detroit March 13 1969
- Milliken W. F. et al “Research in Automobile Stability and Control.” Institute of Mechanical Engineers London 1956
- Kuo B. C. “Automatic Control Systems.” 2nd Englewood Cliffs, N. J. Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1967
- Bendat J. S. Piersol A. G. “Measurement and Analysis of Random Data.” New York, N. Y. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1966