This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of Static Charge Reducer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Static Charge Reducer, a device to reduce static charges in distillate fuels to safe levels during loading or fueling operations, has been in commercial service for over five years and is now being used in several hundred installations. The field experience and laboratory tests accumulated over this time have now been analyzed to show how operation is affected by such variables as the dimensions of the reducer, the flow rate and electrical characteristics of the fuel, and the configuration of the tankage.
To date, the principal applications involve the use of 4 or 6 in. diameter Reducers for the loading of distillate fuels into commercial tank trucks at flow rates of 400-800 gpm. However, available data for Reducers up to 12 in. in diameter, for flow rates up to 2000 gpm, and for various tank sizes are sufficient to indicate how the Reducer will perform under a wide variety of conditions.
|Technical Paper||Engineering Design for Rework of Lightning-Protection Plating on Carbon-Composite Military Airplane Parts|
|Technical Paper||Study of a Hybrid Refuse Truck with City Driving Cycles|
|Technical Paper||Increasing Heavy-Duty Truck Fuel Economy|
CitationBulkley, W. and Ginsburgh, I., "Performance of Static Charge Reducer," SAE Technical Paper 700277, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700277.
- Jacobs R. B. “A Device to Neutralize Static Charge in the Loading of Petroleum Fuels.” Paper presented at meeting of Storage and Handling Subcommittee (OPC) Division of Refining, API Los Angeles May 1967
- Ginsburgh I. “Static Charge Reducer.” J. Colloid and Interfacial Science March 1970
- Ciotti G. A. “Static Charge Neutralizer Development Progress.” Paper presented at meeting of Storage and Handling Subcommittee (OPC) Division of Refining, API Dallas October 1967
- Jacobs R. B. Bulkley W. L. “A Device to Neutralize Static Charge in the Loading of Petroleum Fuels.” National Safety Congress Transactions 19 Petroleum Industries 1967 9 10
- “Static Charge Reducers.” Bulletin 1.10.1 A. O. Smith Corp. September 1968
- Klinkenberg A. van der Minne J. L. “Electrostatics in the Petroleum Industry.” New York Elsevier Publishing Co. 1958
- Wright Lawrence Ginsburgh I. “Take a New Look at Static Electricity.” Hydrocarbon Processing & Petroleum Refiner 42 October 1963 175 80
- Wright L. T. Petroskey T. E. “Calculation of Surface Voltages in Fuel Compartments.”
- Bulkey W. L. Ginsburgh I. “Safe Loading of Distillate Fuels as Affected by Their Electrical Characteristics.” Proc. Division of Refining 48 API 1968 128 40
- Petroskey T. E. American Oil Co. personal communication