This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Mechanics of Intersection Collision Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There are two phases in automobile collisions, namely, the impace phase, which is treated in this paper, and the after-collision phase. As indicated by full-scale experiments in unidirectional collisions, and as confirmed by similitude model study in side impact collisions, vehicles behave as rigid bodies in both impact and after-collision phases. With this confirmation, the analyses of seemingly complex intersection automobile collision phenomena become possible by application of two-dimensional impact theories which are primarily based on the momentum-impulse principle of rigid bodies. Available full-scale intersection experiments indicate the numerical range of the coefficient of restitution and the coefficient of friction between two vehicle bodies in collision.
|Technical Paper||Flight Investigation of Cabin Noise Control Treatments for a Light Turboprop Aircraft|
|Technical Paper||A Case Study on Airborne Road Noise Reduction of a Passenger Vehicle|
CitationEmori, R., "Vehicle Mechanics of Intersection Collision Impact," SAE Technical Paper 700177, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700177.
- “Automotive News.” Solcum Publishing Company, Detroit, Mich., April 21, 1969, p. 2, pp. 56-57.
- Marquard E., “Zur Mechanik des Zusammenstosses von Fahrzeugen.” ATZ Jahrg. 64 Heft 5, 1962, S. 141-148.
- Eberan-Eberhorst R., “Über die Mechanik des Kraftfahrzeugverkehrsunfalls.” Österr. Ing. Zeits, Jahrg. 5 Heft 5, 1962, S. 160-169.
- Emori R., “Analytical Approach to Automobile Collisions.” SAE Paper 680016 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January, 1968.
- Sato T. et al., “Dynamical Consideration on Automotive Collision-Front End Collision Tests.” J. Soc. Automotive Engineering Japan, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1967, pp. 906-909.
- Emori R., “A Model Study of Automobile Collisions.” Paper 690070 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Mich., January, 1969.
- Goldsmith W., “Impact.” Arnold E., London, 1960.
- Severy D. M., “Automobile Side Impact Collisions.” Published as SP-232, New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1962.
- Moore D. F., “Theoretical Prediction of the Trajectory of Automobiles After Side-Impact.” Proceedings of the First International Conference on Vehicle Mechanics, Wayne State University, Detroit, Mich., July, 1968.