This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Hybrid Computer System for the Simulation of Vehicle Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Simulation of the dynamics of pneumatic tired vehicles often severely strains the capabilities of ordinary analog and digital computers. This paper shows why a hybrid computer, combining the best features of both the analog and the digital, is ideally suited to vehicle dynamics simulation. The elements of a typical modern hybrid computer system are outlined, and the rationale behind the specification of such a system for vehicle dynamics simulation is given.
CitationMurphy, R., "A Hybrid Computer System for the Simulation of Vehicle Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 700154, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700154.
- Jeska R. D., “A Comparison of Real and Simulated Automobile Suspension Systems.” Univ. of Michigan, Willow Run Research Center, UMM-117, February 1953.
- Carlson J. A., “Analytical and Experimental Studies of Vehicle Dynamic Behavior,” Industrial Mathematics, Vol. 7, 1956.
- Segel L., “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Control.” Proc. of the Automobile Div., Institute of Mechanical Engineers, No. 7, 1956-7, p. 310.
- Sattinger I. J. and Smith D. F., “Computer Simulation of Vehicle Motion in Three Dimensions.” Report No. 22091-T, Willow Run Laboratories, The Univ. of Michigan, May 1960.
- Kohr R. H., “Analysis and Simulation of Automobile Ride.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 69 (1961), pp. 110-119.
- Bundorf R. T., Pollock D. E., and Hardin M. E., “Vehicle Handling Response to Aerodynamic Inputs.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 72 (1964).
- Ellis J. R., “The Dynamics of Vehicles During Braking, Proceedings of the Symposium on Control of Vehicles in Cornering and Braking.” The Institute of Mechanical Engineers, June 1963.
- Nordeen Donald L., “Vehicle Handling: Its Dependence Upon Vehicle Parameters.” Paper S405 presented at SAE Section Meeting, February 1964.
- Segel L., “On the Lateral Stability and Control of the Automobile as Influenced by the Dynamics of the Steering System.” J. of Engineering for Industry (Trans. of the ASME), Vol. 88, Ser. B, No. 3, August 1966.
- Mitschke M., “Non-Linear Spring and Shock Absorber Characteristics in the Motor Vehicle.” ATZ, Vol. 71 (1969), pp. 14-21.
- Beauvais F. N., Garelis C., and Iacovini D. H., “An Improved Analog for Vehicle Stability Analysis.” Paper 295C presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January, 1961.
- Bergman Walter, Fox E. A., and Saibel E., “Dynamics of An Automobile in a Cornering Maneuver On and Off the Highway.” First International Conference on the Mechanics of Soil-Vehicle Systems, Torino, Italy, June 1961.
- Bergman Walter, “The Basic Nature of Vehicle Understeer-Oversteer.” Paper 650085 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1965.
- Chiesa A. and Rinonopoli L., “Vehicle Stability Studied with a Non-Linear Seven Degree Model.” Paper 670476 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1967.
- Hamann Wayne C., “Analytical Prediction of Vehicle Handling Behavior.” Paper 670192 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1967.
- McHenry R. R., Segal D. J., and DeLeys N. J., “Determination of Physical Criteria for Roadside Energy Systems.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Final Report VJ-2251-V-1 prepared for Bureau of Public Roads, July 1967.
- Neilson I. D., “The Motion and Stability of a Vehicle Moving Over Surfaces Which are Bumpy, Sloping, or Cambered.” Paper No. 6 presented at Symposium on Vehicle and Road Design for Safety, sponsored by Institute of Mechanical Engineers and the Advanced School of Automobile Engineering, Cranfield, England, July 1968.
- McHenry R. R. and DeLeys N. J., “Vehicle Dynamics in Single Vehicle Accident, Validation and Extensions of a Computer Simulation.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Interim Report No. V5-2251-V-3 prepared for Bureau of Public Roads, December 1968.
- McHenry R. R., “An Analysis of the Dynamics of Automobiles During Simultaneous Cornering and Ride Motions.” Paper presented to Institute of Mechanical Engineering Symposium on Handling of Vehicles under Emergency Conditions, Univ. of Technology, Loughborough, England, January 1969.
- Maeda Teruo and Uemura Hitoshi, “On Development of Vehicle Dynamics by Means of a Digital Computer.” Paper 690233 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1969.
- Leffert Ronald L., “Programming Time-Sharing Digital Computers for Linear Dynamic Simulation.” Paper 690235 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1969.
- Komoda Nurio, Kohno T., and Tsuchiya S., “On the Vehicle Dynamic Response to Steering Control-Experimental Evaluation of the Response and Analytical Approach to the Design of the Performance with Seven Degrees Model.” Paper 690488 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1969.
- Shigley J. E., “Simulation of Mechanical Systems: An Introduction.” New York: McGraw-Hill, 1967.
- Johnson C. L., “Analog Computer Techniques.” New York: McGraw-Hill, 2nd Edition, 1963.
- James M. L., Smith G. M., and Wolford J. C., “Analog and Digital Computer Methods in Engineering Analysis.” Scranton, Pa.: International Textbook Co., 1964.
- Brennan R. D. and Linebarger R. N., “A Survey of Digital Simulation: Digital Analog Simulator Programs.” Simulation, Vol. 3, No. 6, December 1964, pp. 22-36.
- Peterson H. E. and Sansom F. J., “MIMIC--A Digital Simulator Program.” SESCA Internal Memo 65-12, Systems Engineering Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, May 1965.
- Syn W. M., Wyman D. C., and Linebarger R. N., “DSL/90 Digital Simulation Language (7090/94 Program).” Systems Development Division, IBM Corp., San Jose, Calif., June 1965.
- “DES-1 Differential Equation Solver Reference Manual.” Scientific Data Systems, 98 00 65A, October 1965.
- “Systems/360 Continuous System Modeling Program (360A-CX-16C) Application Description.” IBM Document No. H20-0240-1, IBM Corp., 1967.
- Harnett R. T., Sansom F. J., and Warshawsky L. M., “MIDAS Programming Guide.” Tech. Doc. Report No. SEG-TDR-64-1, Systems Engineering Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, January 1964.
- Bekey G. A. and Karplus W. J., “Hybrid Computation.” New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1968.
- Valentine R. G., “Hybrid Simulation of Vehicle Directional Control.” Presented at the Midwestern Simulation Council Meeting, Milford, Mich., Sept. 8-9, 1969.
- Hafner Carole and Murphy R. W., “Hybrid Computer Processing of Data from an Instrumented Vehicle.” Paper presented at Midwestern Simulation Council Meeting, Milford, Mich., Sept. 8-9, 1969.
- Fisher D. K., “Optical Control of an Electrohydraulic Test Stand Using Hybrid Computation.” Paper 700153 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1970.
- Fancher Paul S., Dugoff H., and Segel L., “Tire Performance Characteristics Affecting Vehicle Response to Steering and Braking Control Inputs.” First Report prepared for the National Bureau of Standards, Contract No. CST-460, August 1969.