This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Chrysler Cleaner Air System for 1970
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For the 1970 model passenger cars and light trucks, the Federal and California exhaust emission standards were reduced to 2.2 grams per mile hydrocarbon and 23 grams per mile carbon monoxide. This represents a reduction of approximately 33%.
This paper presents the development of the significant features of the Chrysler Cleaner Air System of exhaust emission control for 1970. Included in this development are modifications in the engine, carburetor, ignition system, and other related components. Through these modifications and by optimizing the calibration of the engine operating parameters, the new exhaust emission standards were successfully met.
CitationGoodwillie, R., Jacob, N., and Beckman, E., "The Chrysler Cleaner Air System for 1970," SAE Technical Paper 700151, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700151.
- Air Pollution Control District, Los Angeles County “ Profile of Air Pollution Control in Los Angeles County ” January 1969 3
- Nelson, E. E. “ Hydrocarbon Control For Los Angeles By Reducing Gasoline Volatility ” Society of Automotive Engineers, International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan January 13-17 1969 690087
- Air Pollution Control District, Los Angeles County “ Profile of Air Pollution Control in Los Angeles County ” January 1969 35 44
- Air Pollution Control District, Los Angeles County “ Profile of Air Pollution Control in Los Angeles County ” January 1969 39
- Heinen, C. M. “ We've Done The Job-What's Next? ” Society of Automotive Engineers Metropolitan Section, Symposium on the Automobile Now and Tomorrow New York, City, New York April 9 1969
- Federal Register 33 108 “ Standards for Exhaust Emissions, Fuel Evaporative Emissions, and Smoke Emissions, Applicable to 1970 and Later Vehicles and Engines ” June 4 1968 Washington, D. C.
- Air Resources Board, State of California “ Exhaust Emission Standards and Test Procedures for 1970 Model Gasoline Powered Motor Vehicles Under 6001 Pounds Gross Vehicle Weight, Fuel Evaporative Emission Standard and Test Procedure for 1970 and Subsequent Model Gasoline Powered Motor Vehicles Under 6001 Pounds Gross Vehicle Weight ” November 20 1968
- Sarto, J. O. Fagley, W. S. Hunter, W. A. “ Chrysler Evaporation Control System-The Vapor Saver for 1970 ” Society of Automotive Engineers, Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan January 12-16 1970
- Fagley, W. S. Nunez, R. R. “ Exhaust Gas Analysis as a Tool for Measuring Fuel-Air Ratios ” Society of Automotive Engineers, Mid-Year Meeting Chicago, Illinois May 15-19 1967 670483
- Weertman, W. L. Beckman, E. W. “ Chrysler Corporation's New 273 Cu. In. V-8 Engine ” Society of Automotive Engineers, Automobile Week Detroit, Michigan March 30 April 3 1964
- Beckman, E. W. Fagley, W. S. Sarto, J. O. “ Exhaust Emission Control by Chrysler - The Cleaner Air Package ” Society of Automotive Engineers, Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan January 10-14 1966 660107