This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Oxides of Nitrogen from Smaller Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The new California regulations governing emission of oxides of nitrogen from automobile exhausts present a special problem to small engine manufacturers, for little of the available data enable them to satisfy the requirements and still produce vehicles that have maximum power output and maximum fuel economy. This report provides essential information for designers and alerts them to the danger of adverse effects on engine and vehicle performance resulting from the usual corrective measures of rich mixture, retarded spark timing, and exhaust gas recyling. Engine modifications and an effective gas recyling method are suggested in this report to alleviate these undesirable side effects.
CitationMatsumoto, K., Toda, T., and Nohira, H., "Oxides of Nitrogen from Smaller Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 700145, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700145.
- Campau R. M. and Neerman J. C., “Continuous Mass Spectrometric Determination of Nitric Oxide in Automotive Exhaust.” Paper 660116 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- Hershey R. L., Eberhardt J. E., and Hottel H. C., “Thermodynamic Properties of the Working Fluid in Internal Combustion Engines.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 39, No. 4, October 1936, pp. 409-424.
- Starkman E. S. and Newhall H. K., “Characteristics of the Expansion of Reactive Gas Mixtures as Occurring in Internal Combustion Engine Cycles.” Paper 650509 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1965.
- Newhall H. K. and Starkman E. S., “Direct Spectroscopic Determination of Nitric Oxide in Reciprocating Engine Cylinders.” Paper 670112 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1967.
- Nebel G. J. and Jackson M. W., “Some Factors Affecting the Concentration of Oxides of Nitrogen in Exhaust Gases from Spark Ignition Engine.” J. Air Poll. Cont. Assoc., Vol. 8, No. 3 (November 1958), 213-219.
- Huls T. A. and Nichol H. A., “Influence of Engine Variables on Exhaust Oxide of Nitrogen Concentrations from a Multi-Cylinder Engine.” Paper 670482 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1967.
- Kopa R. D., “Control of Automotive Exhaust Emission by Modification of the Carburetion System.” Paper 660114 presented at the SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- Kopa R. D. and Kimura H., “Exhaust Gas Recycling as a Method of Nitrogen Oxides Control in an Internal Combustion Engine.” Paper presented at the Air Pollution Control Association 53rd Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, May 1960.
- Kopa R. D., “Combustion Process Control.” Dept. of Engineering Progress Report, No. 59-70, U.C.L.A., January 1960.
- Eyzat D. and Gilbert J. C., “A New Look at Nitrogen Oxides Formation in Internal Combustion Engines.” Paper 680124 presented at the SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1968.
- Toyoda S., Nakajima K., and Toda T., “Development of the Exhaust Emission Control Device for Toyota Vehicles.” Paper 670687 presented at the SAE West Coast Meeting, Portland, August 1967.
- Benson J. D., “Reduction of Nitrogen Oxides in Automobile Exhaust.” Paper 690019 presented at the SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1969.