This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Whirling of a Four-Cylinder Engine Crankshaft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A John Deere Model 3010 Engine, a 4-cyl, three-main-bearing, four-stroke Otto-cycle in-line engine, was used in tests measuring crankshaft strains and the deviation of flywheel motion from plane rotation about the axial centerline of the main bearing bores. The crankshaft was run with a 50 lbf and a 127 lbf flywheel at 0.006 in. and 0.008 in. diametral main-bearing clearance over a range of 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm engine speed under no-load conditions.
The flywheel exhibited a first-order, forward whirl for all test conditions. Crankshaft stresses were not significantly affected by either the flywheel mass or the main-bearing clearances.
|Technical Paper||Design Criteria and Experience with Crankshaft Bearings in Medium Speed Engines|
|Technical Paper||PRACTICAL BALANCING OF ENGINE COMPONENTS|
|Technical Paper||CFD Simulation of Connecting Rod Bearing Lubrication|
CitationBrown, R. and Mischke, C., "Whirling of a Four-Cylinder Engine Crankshaft," SAE Technical Paper 700121, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700121.
- Garber E. V. “Dynamic Stress Analysis of CWC Nodular Iron Cast Diesel Crankshaft for Model OY Engine.” John Deere Waterloo Works Waterloo, Iowa 1958
- Peterson G. L. “Dynamic Crankshaft Stress Analysis of X-26 Engine.” John Deere Waterloo Tractor Works Waterloo, Iowa 1962
- Brown R. K. Strojohann D. R. “Dynamic Stress Analysis of 5010 Diesel Crankshaft.” John Deere Waterloo Tractor Works Waterloo, Iowa 1962
- Hopkins R. B. “The Effect of Shaft Whirl on Stresses in the T499T Crankshaft.” John Deere Waterloo Tractor Works Waterloo, Iowa
- Lowell C. M. “Lateral Vibrations in Reciprocating Machinery.” ASME Paper 58-A-79 1958
- Gross W. A. “Investigation of Whirl on Externally Pressurized Air-Lubricated Journal Bearings.” Journal of Basic Engineering, ASME Transactions 84 1 March 1962 132 138
- Morris J. “The Whirling of a Crankshaft.” Aeronautics 17 299 July 10 1919 45 46
- Cousins F. M. “Analytical Design of High Speed Internal Combustion Engines.” New York Pitman Publishing Corp. 1941
- Cole E. N. Barr H. F. “The Cadillac Engine.” SAE Transactions 3 3 July 1949 444 460
- Gadd C. W. “Experimental Mechanics in Design.” “SESA Design Clinics,” Detroit, Michigan Society of Experimental Stress Analysis October 1959
- Brown R. K. “Engine Crankshaft Stress Measurements During Whirling.” M. E. Thesis Iowa State University 1967
- Hartog J. P. Den “Mechanical Vibrations.” New York McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1956 3rd
- Worthing A. G. Geffner J. “Treatment of Experimental Data.” New York John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1959
- Bancroft T. A. “Intermediate Statistics.” Iowa State University 1964
- Ham C. V. Crane E. J. Rodgers W. L. “Mechanics of Machinery” New York McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1958 4th
- Mischke C. R. “Elements of Mechanical Analysis” Reading Mass Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. 1963