This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Multichannel Electronic Gating and Counting System for the Study of Cyclic Dispersion, Knock and Weak Mixture Combustion in Spark Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cyclic variations in the course of combustion occur in gasoline engines and are inextricably bound up with engine design features. The existence of these variations (cyclic dispersion) therefore needs to be recognized in any study of the normal combustion behavior of fuels in engines. The multichannel gating and counting system described provides a rapid and convenient means of measuring the extent of dispersion in an engine without the need for access to a computer. The equipment consists of an eight-channel gating unit, a crankangle selector and a nine-channel pulse counter.
Combustion at weak mixtures is studied with a pulse counter which, in conjunction with the other electronic apparatus, is capable of counting combustion cycles in which certain events, for example, knock or complete combustion of the charge, do not take place, or in which flames do not arrive at an ionization probe before a predetermined crankangle.
CitationAllwood, H., Harrow, G., and Rose, L., "A Multichannel Electronic Gating and Counting System for the Study of Cyclic Dispersion, Knock and Weak Mixture Combustion in Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 700063, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700063.
- Patterson D. J. “Cylinder Pressure Variations: A Fundamental Combustion Problem.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660129
- Vichnievsky R. “Combustion in Petrol Engines.” Proc. Joint IME/ASME Conference on Combustion June October 1955 288
- Salé B. “Contribution à l'Etude de la Combustion Normale dans les Moteurs à Allumage Commandé.” Rev. Inst. Franc. Pet. 1958 13 6 1040 7-8 1157 1958 13 9 1279
- Curry S. “A Three-Dimensional Study of Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine.” SAE Transactions 71 1963 paper 452-B
- Hoffmann R. A. “A New Technique for Determining the Knocking Resistance of Fuels.” Paper 285-C presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1961
- Harrow G. A. Orman P. L. “Effects of Engine Operating Variables on the Time of Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine.” J. Inst. Pet. 1963 49 475 204
- Curry S. “The Effect of Antiknocks on Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine.” Ninth Symposium International on Combustion August 1962
- Peletier L. A. “Influence de la Richesse sur la Detonation dans les Moteurs a Essence.” Second World Petroleum Congress 1937 744
- Beaubier R. C. Gibson H. J. “Watch the Weather; It Affects Knock.” 42 1963 135