This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanisms of Injuries to Unrestrained Drivers in Head-On Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Based on injuries determined by autopsies of 82 car drivers, who died after a straight head-on impact, and based on the deformation of the interior of the accident vehicles, the cause of the injuries was analyzed.
This material can be divided into four groups, the characteristics of which are mainly defined by location and design of steering assembly, instrument panel, and seat.
This evaluation led to a new explanation of the fatal aortic rupture at the classical site appearing very often, and to a number of conclusions relevant to the design of automobiles in terms of internal safety.
Tests performed on the impact sled with cadavers and using various steering assemblies at impact speeds of approximately 37 mph confirmed the explanation of the mechanism of the aortic rupture as well as the satisfactory performance of a steering assembly with a shock-absorbing device which latter proved to be especially effective in preventing severe thoracic injuries.
|Technical Paper||Safety Belt Testing Apparatus|
|Technical Paper||Biomechanical Evaluation of Steering Wheel Design|
|Technical Paper||Development and Characterization of New Headliner Material to Meet FMVSS 201 Requirements|
CitationVoigt, G. and Wilfert, K., "Mechanisms of Injuries to Unrestrained Drivers in Head-On Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 690811, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690811.
- “The Injury-Producing Automobile Accident: A Primer.” ACIR-Cornell University 1961
- Mac Vean S. S. “Seat Belt Usage and Vehicle Occupancy Data.” Ford Motor Co., Technical Memorial PRM 66-26 1966
- Voigt G. E. “Die Biomechanik stumpfer Brustverlet-zungen besonders von Thorax, Aorta und Herz.” Hefte zur Unfallheilkunde 96 1968 1 115
- Schneider R. C. Livingston K. E. Cave A. J. E. Hamilton G. “Hangman's Fracture of the Cerevical Spine.” J. Neurosurg. 22 1965 141 154
- Voigt G. E. Saldeen T. “Uber den Abriss zahl-reicher oder samtlicher Vv. cerebri sup. mit geringem Sub-duralhaematom und Hirnstammslaesion.” Dtsch. Z. ges. tericht. Med. 64 1968 9 20
- Coermann K. Lange W. Voigt G. E. Dot-zauer G.
- Reynolds J. Davis J. T. “Injuries of the Chest Wall Pleura, Pericardium, Lung, Bronchi and Esophagus.” The Radiologic Clinics of North America 4 1966 383 401