This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Anthropology of Anthropomorphic Dummies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A program has been developed under the National Highway Safety Bureau, Department of Transportation, to create a set of standard body-forms for anthropomorphic dummies representative of the American public. Planned sizes include “adult” to “infant” for both sexes. Committee members from both government and industry review anthropometric survey data and choose suitable dimensions, as available, for human body size, for arm, leg, and torso mobility, and for segment masses and c.g. locations.
The resulting body-forms will become national standards of size, form, mobility and mass distribution, to which dummies for the American market will have to conform.
CitationHertzberg, H., "The Anthropology of Anthropomorphic Dummies," SAE Technical Paper 690805, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690805.
- Barter, James T. “Estimation of the Mass of Body Segments.” WADC Tech. Rept. 57–260 Aero Medical Laboratory (AD 118 222) Wright-Patterson AFB Ohio 1957
- Barter, James T. Emanuel, Irvin Truett, Bruce “A Statistical Evaluation of Joint Range Data.” WADC Tech. Note 57–311 Aero Medical Laboratory (AD 131 028) Wright-Patterson AFB Ohio 1957
- Braune W. Fischer, O. “The Center of Gravity of the Human Body as Related to the Equipment of the German Infantryman.” Abh. d. math.-phys. Klasse d. koenigl. saechs. Gesellsch. d. Wissensch. Bd. 26 1889 561 672
- Clauser, C. E. McConville, J. T. Young, J. W. “Weight, Volume and Center of Mass of Segments of the Human Body.” AMRL-TR-69-70 Wright-Patterson AFB Ohio 1969
- Daniels, G. S. Meyers, H. C. Jr. Worrall, Sheryl “Anthropometry of WAF Basic Trainees.” WADC Tech. Rept. 53–12 Wright-Patterson AFB Ohio 1953
- Dempster, W. T. “Space Requirements of the Seated Operator.” WADC Tech. Rept. 55–159 Wright-Patterson AFB Ohio 1955
- Glanville A. D. Kreezer, G. “The Maximum Amplitude and Velocity of Joint Movements in Normal Male Human Adults.” Human Biology Vol. 9 1937 197 211
- Harless, E. “The Static Moments of Inertia of Human Body Segments.” Abh. d. math.-phys. Klasse d. koenigl. bayer. Akad. d. Wissensch. V. 8 1860 69 96
- Hertzberg, H. T. E. Daniels, G. S. Churchill, E. “Anthropometry of Flying Personnel—1950.” WADC Tech Rept. 52–321 Aero Medical Laboratory (AD 47953), Wright-Patterson AFB Ohio 1954
- Lay W. E. Fischer, L. C. “Riding Comfort and Cushions.” SAE Transactions Vol. 47 No. 5 1940 482 496
- Lovell, G. “Design and Development of the RAE Dummy of the Standard Airman.” Tech. Note: No. Mech. Eng. 176 Royal Aircraft Establishment Farnborough, Hants. 1954
- Newman R. W. White, R. M. “Reference Anthropometry of Army Men.” Report No. 180 Environmental Protection Branch, U. S. Quartermaster R&D Center Natick, Mass. 1951
- SAE Recommended Practice a Anthropomorphic Test Device for Dynamic Testing.” SAE J963 1968 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 2 Pennsylvania Plaza, New York, New York 10001
- Starkey, John Young, Joseph W. Alderson, Sam W. Cichowski, W. G. Sobkow, W. J. Jr., Krag, M. T. Horn, W. D. “The First Standard Automotive Crash Dummy: (1) Its Measurements, Movements and Mass. (2) Its Parts, Performance and Purposes.” Paper 690218 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Stoudt, H. W. Damon, Albert McFarland, Ross Roberts, June “Weight, Height and Selected Body Dimensions of Adults, United States, 1960–1962.” Report No. 8, Series 11 National Center for Health Statistics, Public Health Service, U. S. Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare Washington, D. C. 1965
- Swearingen, J. J. “Protection of Passengers and Air Crew from Blast Effects of Explosive Decompression.” Report No. 1 Civil Aeronautics Medical Research Laboratory Oklahoma City, Okla. 1950
- Swearingen, J. J. “Design and Construction of a Crash Dummy for Testing Shoulder Harness and Safety Belts.” Civil Aeronautics Medical Research Laboratory Oklahoma City, Okla. 1951
- Swearingen, J. J. “Determination of Centers of Gravity of Man.” Report No. 62–14 FAA, Civil Aeromedical Research Institute Oklahoma City, Okla. 1962
- Swearingen J. J. Young, J. W. “Determination of Centers of Gravity of Children, Sitting and Standing.” Report No. AM 65–23 FAA, Civil Aeromedical Research Institute Oklahoma City, Okla. 1965