This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effectiveness of Safety Devices on Collision Consequences: A Fundamental Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Statistics on road accidents indicate that most crashes occur at relatively low speeds and that the number of vehicles involved is smaller as the speed increases.
A mathematical model is herewith presented to establish basic factors from which, with a given safety device, the degree of injury to a passenger can be predicted and held down to a predetermined level.
A mathematical model of the crash characteristics of the vehicle and of a schematic 2-dimensional occupant will give figures to be compared to those obtained experimentally in a vehicle crash with 3-point safety belts. A comparison will then be made of the severity of impact at passenger level for different models of cars and for various restraining devices.
CitationHamon, J., "Effectiveness of Safety Devices on Collision Consequences: A Fundamental Study," SAE Technical Paper 690802, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690802.
- Sicard A. and Lavarde, G. “Consequences vertebrocervicales des accidents de la route.” Reunion d'etudes sur la biomecanique des ceintures de securite. Onser Lyon 15/16 Juin 1967.
- Investigation of motor vehicle performance standards for fuel tank protection. Hiller, Fairchild Republic Aviation Div., PD 070 R—5002 Z. Sept. 29, 1967.
- Locati, L. “Comportemento di una vettura nelle collisioni.” ATA, 1964, pp. 154–168.
- Mazzuolo, G. “Sull' urto frontale di un autoveicolo.” ATA, Febbraro 1965, pp. 85–94.
- Hamon, J. “Influence du comportement des structures d'un vehicule sur ses occupants en cas de collision.” Ingenieurs de I'automobile, Tome XLI, November 1968.
- Weaver, J. R. “A Simple Occupant Dynamics Model.” Jrl. of Biomechanics, Vol 1, No. 3, August 1968.
- Henry R. R. and Naab, K. N. “Computer Simulation of the Automobile Crash Victim in a Frontal Collision.” A validation study report, No. YB-2126-V-1. Cornell Aeronautical Lab., Buffalo, N.Y., 1966.
- Hamon J. and Mauron, G. “Le siege de choc Peugeot a absorption d'energie.” Technical Aspects of road safety CIDITVA 36 December 1968.
- Tarriere C. and Sapin, C. “Biokinetic Study of The Head to Thorax Linkage.” Proceedings of the Thirteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1969.