This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Engine Testing of Motor Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Computerized automation has been designed and installed on to two laboratory engine stands in a pilot project aimed at improving repeatability and efficiency of motor oil testing via ASTM MS sequence VB. Although testing experience is limited, practice of operating the stands automatically has been confirmed; compliance with test specifications has been tightened; and potentials for reducing operating and clerical support have been demonstrated. Impact on improving repeatability of engine deposits is still inconclusive. The computer-aided capabilities are proving highly useful in evaluating the adequacy of the test itself.
CitationShields, S., Herring, W., and Bourne, E., "Automated Engine Testing of Motor Oils," SAE Technical Paper 690782, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690782.
- Leonard, L. S. La Verghetta, F. E. “Dynamometer Testing Under Computer Control.” Paper 680131 presented SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1968
- Wellington, R. Henderson, J. Cole, M. H. “Experience with a Computer Controlled Data System in an Engine Laboratory.” Paper 680132 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1968
- Le Feuvre, T. Myers, P. S. Uyehara, O. A. Shipinski, J. H. “A Tape Recording and Computer Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data.” SAE Transactions 78 1968 paper 68133
- Williams, G. Muir, E. “A Study of Closed Loop Control and Data Acquisition for Engine Test Cells.” Paper 680134 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1968
- Budzilovich, P. N. Control Engineering January 1969
- Herring, W. M. Shields, S. E. Chem. Eng. Prog. 61 94 1965
- American Society for Testing Materials ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 315-D September 1968