This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Pressure Turbocharging of Two-Stroke Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: National Powerplant Meeting
An experimental program shows effects of various air charging system characteristics on performance of a highly turbocharged 2 stroke engine. The advantages displayed by a variable speed blower drive led to the conception and development of a hydraulic auxiliary energy system to supplement power supplied to the turbocharger by exhaust gas.
This system uses a small Pelton wheel type turbine, mounted on the turbocharger shaft and supplied with lubricating oil at high pressure from a pump located in the engine sump. Results from this system are good and allow flexible torque characteristics to be attained in an engine.
|Technical Paper||Wavelet Analysis for Piston Pump Fault Diagnosis|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Diesel Injection Pump Testing - Part 1: Calibrating Nozzle and Holder Assemblies|
CitationTimoney, S., "High Pressure Turbocharging of Two-Stroke Engines," SAE Technical Paper 690747, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690747.
- Bradbury C. H. “The Turbocharging of High Speed Diesel Engines.” Proc. Auto. Div. Inst. Mech. Engr London 6 1956-1957 240
- Timoney S. G. “Diesel Design for Turbocharging.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 Paper 650007
- Tryhorn D. W. “Turbocharging the Automotive Two Stroke Cycle Engine.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engr London 1965-1966 75
- Timoney S. G. “A New Concept in Traction Power Plants.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engr London 1965-1966 69
- Nancarrow J. H. “Influence of Turbocharger Characteristics on Supply of Air for High Speed Diesel Engines.” Paper 660133 presented at SAE Automotive Congress Detroit January 1966
- Cotti E. “Recent Experience in Large Marine Diesel Engine Maintenance.” Proc. ASME (DGEP-13) 1966
- Gyssler G. “Methods of Turbocharging with Special Reference to Large Two Stroke Diesel Engines.” Proc. AS ME (DGEP-3) 1966
- Antonsen A. K. Dahlund E. L. “Development of a Compact 1000 H.P. per Cylinder Engine.” Proc. ASME, DGEP-20 1966
- Ephraim M. Williams H. A. “A Look at a Modern Two-Cycle Diesel Engine.” Proc. ASME, DGEP-10 1968
- Sammons H. Chatterton E. “Napier Nomad Aircraft Diesel Engine.” SAE Transactions 63 1955 107
- Wallace F. J. “Performance of Two-Stroke Compression Ignition Engines in Combination with Compressors and Turbines.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engr London 177 1963 43
- Vincent E. T. “The Modern Compound Engine.” Paper 660131 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Detroit January 1966
- Witsky J. Meriwether R. Lux F. “Piston-Turbine-Compound Engine Analysis.” Paper 650632 presented at SAE West Coast Meeting Vancouver, B.C. August 1965
- Braun A. T. “The Potential of the Free-Piston Engine Principle,” The Engineering Journal Canada July 1960