This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise Reduction Possibilities for a Light Helicopter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Results of a preliminary design study to establish the degree of quieting possible in a light helicopter are discussed. The study consists of analytical investigations of noise-reduction measures and of the penalties in performance and mission capabilities. Design data are presented for modified and redesigned versions of the OH-58A Light Observation Helicopter (LOH). The modified version is a test bed for verifying the predicted noise reductions, while the redesignec version shows the extent of changes and increase in weight that are necessary to give an operational LOH the performance and payload of the OH-58A. Predicted noise, performance, and cost of the quiet versions are compared with those of the OH-58A.
CitationHalwes, D. and Cox, C., "Noise Reduction Possibilities for a Light Helicopter," SAE Technical Paper 690683, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690683.
- Brown E. L. Cox C. R. Halwes D. R. “A Preliminary Design Study of a Quiet Light Observation Helicopter.” Bell Helicopter Co., U.S. Army Aviation Materiel Laboratories, Technical Report 69-99” 1969
- Lowson M. V. Ollerhead J. B. “Studies of Helicopter Rotor Noise.” Aviation Materiel Laboratories Technical Report 68-60 Wyle Laboratories Inc., U.S. Army” May 1968
- Schlegel R. G. King R. J. Mull H. R. “Helicopter Rotor Noise Generation and Propogation.” Sikorsky Aircraft, U.S. Army Aviation Materiel Laboratories, Technical Report 66-4 October 1966
- Lowson M. V. “Thoughts on Broadband Noise Radiation by a Helicopter.” Wyle Laboratories Inc., Report WR 68-20 December 1968
- Kryter K. D. Pearsons K. S. “Some Effects of Spectral Content and Duration on Perceived Noise Level,” Journal of Acoustical Society of America” 35 6 1963
- Sutherland L. C. Wyle Laboratories Research Staff, “Sonic and Vibration Loading of Ground Facilities - A Design Manual.” Wyle Laboratories Inc., Report WR 68-2 1968
- Wiener F. M. Keast D. N. “Experimental Study of the Propagation of Sound Over Ground.” Journal of Acoustical Society of America” 31 1959
- Guest S. H. Adams B. B. “Methods of Determining the Excess Attenuation for Ground-to-Ground Noise Propagation.” National Aeronautics and Space Administration Report SP-189 October 1968
- Cox C. R. “Rotor Noise Measurements in Wind Tunnels.” Proceedings of Third CAL/AVLABS Symposium, Buffalo, N.Y., Aerodynamics of Rotary Wing and V/STOL Aircraft 1 June 1969
- Cox C. R. “Full-Scale Helicopter Rotor Noise Measurements in Ames 40- By 80-Foot Wind Tunnel.” BellHeli-copter Co. Report 576-099-052 July 1967
- Spencer R. H. Sternfeld H. McCormick B. W. “Tip Vortex Core Thickening for Application to Helicopter Noise Reduction.” Vertol Div., The Boeing Co., U.S. Army Aviation Materiel Laboratories, Technical Report 66-1, September 1966