This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Roller Traction Drive for Quiet, High Speed Power Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the principle of operation and dynamometer test results of a fixed ratio, planetary speed reducer which uses preloaded, lubricated rollers for transmittal of power. The unit features a torque actuated, automatic preloading mechanism which prevents roller slippage even under severe overload and greatly improves reliability, life, and efficiency of the drive.
Test results indicate efficient, quiet, and vibration free operation at pitch line velocities up to 30,000 fpm, such as might be encountered in turbomachinery. Examples of roller traction drives ranging from 500 to 3 hp tested in several applications are also briefly discussed.
CitationHewko, L., "Roller Traction Drive for Quiet, High Speed Power Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 690572, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690572.
- Hewko L. O. Rounds F. G. Jr Scott R. L. “Tractive Capacity and Efficiency of Rolling Contacts” “Proceedings of the Symposium on Rolling Contact Phenomena Joseph B. Bidwell, Ed. Elsevier 1962 157 185
- Johnson L. G. “The Statistical Treatment of Fatigue Experiments.” Elsevier 1964
- Johnson L. G. “Theory and Technique of Variation Research.” Elsevier” Elsevier 1964
- Crook A. W. “Development in Elasto-hydrohynamic Lubrication.” J. Inst. Petrol” 49 1963 295 306
- Orcutt F. K. “Experimental Study of Elasto-Hydro-dynamic Lubrication.” ASLE Transactions” 8 1965 381 396
- Sibley L. B. Orcutt F. K. “Elasto-Hydrodynamic Lubrication of Rolling Contact Surfaces.” ASLE Transactions” 4 1961 234 249
- Gohar R. Cameron A. “Optical Measurement of Oil Film Thickness under Elasto-hydrodynamic Lubrication.” Nature” 200 1963 458 459
- Cheng H. S. “A Refined Solution to the Thermal Elasto-Hydrodynamic Lubrication of Rolling and Sliding Cylinders.” ASLE Transactions 8 1965 397 410
- Hewko L. O. “Contact Traction and Creep of Lubricated Cylindrical Rolling Elements at Very High Surface Speeds.” ASLE Transactions 12 1969 151 161