This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Study of Fracture Surfaces With the Scanning Electron Microscope
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Direct examination of fracture surfaces is essential for understanding the mode and cause of failure. Low power optical microscopy, however, cannot reveal details at magnifications greater than 50x; the indirect technique of replica examination in transmission electron microscopy, while extensively used, requires considerable time and skill in preparing and handling the replicas and interpreting results.
The scanning electron microscope provides a unique tool for fractography because of its large depth of focus, wide range of useful magnifications, and satisfactory resolution. The technique is direct and fast, requiring very little specimen preparation, and the results are straightforward to interpret.
These techniques are discussed with examples of fractography on tool and composite materials.
CitationJohari, O., "The Study of Fracture Surfaces With the Scanning Electron Microscope," SAE Technical Paper 690528, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690528.
- Johari O. “Comparison of Transmission Electron Microscopy and Scanning Electron Microscopy of Fracture Surfaces.” Jnl of Metals June 1968 26
- Oatley C. W. Nixon W. C. Pease R. F. W. “Scanning Electron Microscopy.” Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics 21 181 1965
- “Scanning Electron Microscopy/1968.” Proceedings of the Symposium “The Scanning Electron Microscope - The Instrument and Its Applications.” Johari ed.O Chicago 1968
- “Scanning Electron Microscopy/1969.” Proceedings of the Second Annual Scanning Electron Microscope Symposium Johari ed. O IIT Research Institute Chicago 1969
- Johari O. Parikh N. M. “Scanning Electron Fractography of Polycrystalline Aluminum Oxide.” To be submitted for publication to Journal American Ceramic Society
- Sikorski J. Moss J. S. Newman P. H. Buckley T. “A New Preparation Technique for Examination of Polymens in the SEM.” Jnl of Scientific Instruments, 1 1968 20 31
- Proceedings First Annual Technical Meeting, International Metallographic Society, Inc November 1968 Denver, Col U.S.A. 127
- Kimoto S. Russ J. C. “The Characteristics and Applications of the Scanning Electron Microscope.” Mater. Res. Stand., 9 (1) 1969 8 16
- Bhattacherrya S. “Influence of Fabrication Variables on the Properties of Fiber-Reinforced Metals.” IITRI's Report No. B6074-6 to Department of the Navy, under contract No. N00019-67-C-0372 July 1968
- “Scanning Electron Microscopy/1970.” Proceedings of the Third Annual Scanning Electron Microscope Symposium. Johari ed. O. IIT Research Institute Chicago April 1969