This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cylinder Pressure Behavior with Runaway Surface Ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Cylinder pressure with extremely advanced ignition was studied to gain a better understanding of runaway surface ignition.
How early ignition affects ignition lag and the effective burning time is shown on reproductions of the cylinder pressure versus time records and on replots of these data. An analysis of the polytropic process shows the change in cyclic work and heat rejection of typical cycles with progressively advancing ignition timing.
The study has contributed a technique, using the cylinder pressure level at the time of normal spark ignition, to measure runaway surface ignition, and a new approach to study the events that can lead to engine damage from this uncontrolled ignition by consideration of cyclic work.
CitationPhoebe, C. and Wagner, J., "Cylinder Pressure Behavior with Runaway Surface Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 690517, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690517.
- Hundere, A. “No Harmful Preignition From Lead Deposits,” Automotive Industries Sept. 1 1950
- Roensch, M. M. “Automotive Developments and their Fuel and Lubricant Requirements.” Paper presented at Mid-Continent Section of SAE, Ponca City, Oklahoma December 1963
- Baxter M. C. Pier, S. M. “The Elimination of Runaway Preignition Failures in LP Gas Engines.” Paper presented at NGPA Annual Convention, Dallas March 1965
- Scott, L. B. Ryan, J. G. Baker, J. B. “Deposit Induced Runaway Surface Ignition.” Paper 544B presented at SAE Summer Meeting, Atlantic City June 1962
- Pless, L. G. “Surface Ignition and Rumble in Engines.” Paper 650391 presented at Milwaukee Section Meeting, Milwaukee June 1965
- Tomsic, V. J. “Surface Ignition Behavior of Fuels.” Paper 293E presented at SAE Annual Meeting, Detroit January 1961
- Robison, J. A. Behrens, M. D. Mosher, R. G. Chandler, J. M. “Investigating Combustion Phenomena in Unmodified Engines.” Paper 256 presented at SAE Meeting, Cleveland, Ohio November 1957
- Clarke, J. S. “Initiation and Some Controlling Parameters of Combustion in the Automobile Engine.” SAE Trans actions 70 1962 paper 279A
- Becker, J. O. Hull, W. L. “The Mechanism of Surface Ignition in Internal Combustion Engines.” Paper 974A presented at SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1965
- Echols, L. S. Yust, V. E. Bame, J. L. “A Review of Research on Abnormal Combustion Phenomena in Internal Combustion Engines.” Paper 11, Fifth World Petroleum Congress, New York June 1959