This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Taking the Heat Off the Highly Boosted Diesel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Local heat fluxes have been measured over a wide range of loads and speeds on diesel engines of automotive and larger sizes, both two and four cycle, and with direct and indirect injection combustion systems. Empirical relationships are presented which enable the distribution and the amplitude of the heat flux to be predicted for a target rating.
Rigs for investigating the heat transfer conditions at coolant interface are described and typical values of heat transfer coefficient are given.
Design techniques are described that have been evolved to permit satisfactory engine operation under highly rated conditions.
CitationFrench, C., "Taking the Heat Off the Highly Boosted Diesel," SAE Technical Paper 690463, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690463.
- Nusselt W. “Der Warmeubergang in der Verbren-nugs - kraft - maschine.” V.D.I 67 1923
- Ebersole G. D. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “The Radiant and Convective Components of Diesel Engine Heat Transfer.” Paper 701C presented at SAE International Summer Meeting Montreal June 1963
- Annand W.J. D. “Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines.” Proc. Inst. Mech., Engineers London 177 1963 973
- Alcock J. F. Robson J. V. B. Mash C. “Distribution of Heat Flow in High Duty Internal Combustion Engines.” C.I.M.A.C Zurich 1957
- French C. C. J. Hartles E. R. Monaghan M. L. “Thermal Loading of Highly Rated Two Cycle, Marine Diesel Engines.” C.I.M.A.C. London 1965
- French C. C. J. Contribution to paper “Heat Flow in Engine Pistons,” by S.J. Pachernegg SAE Transactions, Section 4 76 paper 670928
- Bush J. E. “Heat Transfer in a Reciprocating Hollow Piston Partially Filled with a Liquid.” Stanford University, Technical Report No. 56 Stanford, Cal 1963
- Brock E. K. Glasspoole A. J. Hassan H. Morland G. W. “Some Research and Development Investigations on Medium Speed Oil Engines at 200 lb/sq in. B.M.E.P.” C.I.M.A.C London 1965
- Fitzgeorge D. Pope J. A. “An investigation of the Factors Contributing to the Failure of Diesel Engine Pistons and Cylinder Covers.” Transactions North East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders Newcastle, England 71 1955 163
- Alcock J. F. “Thermal Loading of Diesel Engines.” Transactions of the Institute of Marine Engineers 77 10 October 1965
- Zienkiewicz O. C. Cheung Y. K. “Finite Elements in the Solution of Field Problems.” The Engineer 220 1965 507
- Zienkiewicz O. C. “The Finite Element Method in Structural and Continium Mechanics.” New York McGraw-Hill Co. 1967
- Fiskaa G. Iverson P. Sarsten A. Proc. Inst. Mech, Engineers London 1967-1968 182
- Law D. A. “New Features in Diesel Pistons Above 6 in. Diameter.” Diesel Engineers and Users Association Publication No. 308 1966
- “Temperature Measurement of Injection Nozzles.” Hawker Siddeley Technical Journal 2 1 August 1960
- von Kienlin M. “Massnahmen zur Leistungssteigerung eines schnellaufenden Dieselmotors uber 3,000 PS.” MTZ 1962 23 6 192