This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nondestructive Testing Of Brake Lining
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
NON DESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF BRAKE LINING
Every piece of brake lining must meet standards which relate production lining to lining tested on the vehicle for approval. To accomplish this purpose limits have been set on Cure, Strength, Hardness, Specific Gravity and Appearance, and these characteristics must be measured on a production basis.
New techniques developed to measure these characteristics rapidly and non-destructively are; Electrical Conductivity for Cure, Loaded Rollers for Strength and Gamma Radiation Gauges for Specific Gravity. These techniques, plus Gogan hardness and visual inspection, have been coupled with systematic recording of measurements on experimental lining.
CitationJACOBY, G., "Nondestructive Testing Of Brake Lining," SAE Technical Paper 690445, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690445.
- R. L. Gealer B. H. Biggers “A New Chemical Test for the Characterization of Organic Brake Linings-Pyrolytic Gas Chromatography,” Paper No. 670080 , SAE Annual Meeting Detroit, Michigan January 9-13 1967
- A. R. Spencer W. M. Spurgeon J. L. Winge ”Four Tests for the Consistency of Automotive Brake Linings,” Paper No. 660412 , presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit, Michigan June 6-10 1966 Spurgeon W. Spencer A. R. June 6-10 1966 Spurgeon W. Spencer A. R. “A Review of Progress with Some Recently Developed Techniques for Friction Material Evaluation,” Paper No. 670081 , SAE Annual Meeting Detroit, Michigan January 9 13 1967
- Anderson A.E. Gratch S. Hayes H. P. “A New Laboratory Friction and Wear Test for the characterization of Brake Linings,” Paper No. 670079 , SAE Annual Meeting Detroit, Michigan January 9 13 1967
- Rappaport G. Goldfinger G. C. “Application of Infrared Spectroscopic & Gas Chromatographic Techniques to Brake Lining Development Paper No. 670514 , SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago, Illinois May 15 19 1967
- Burkman A. J. Highley F. H. “Laboratory Evaluation of Brake Lining Material,” Paper No. 670510 , SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago, Illinois May 15-19 1967
- Antheil R. Paper No. 670509 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago, Illinois May 15 19 1967